Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Maybe they have found a gusher in the chicken coop!!! I would check their roof out. Is there a leak?
Do you have any kids? One might have been giving them a lotion massage. Your husband might be playing games too. ^^

Lol...I have to admit those are not things I considered. I spent a lot of time in the coop/run this weekend redoing the fencing on the roof of the run ( found a rattlesnake looking for a chicken dinner outside the run the other day and realized he could get in through the top) but I didn't noticed any drips or anything. I'll check again though. Thanks for the reply. :)

If you rule everything else out, it might be worth it to check the uropygial gland, also known as the "preen gland" or "oil gland" to look for abnormalities. The preen gland is located just below where you are noticing the oily spots:
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/554images/uropygial_gland.gif

It should appear as a little nub in the flesh, with a strange feather 'wick' sticking out of the tip. It sort of looks like a very small, short paintbrush poking out. It may or may not be noticeable unless you look closely.

The preen gland should be fairly small, a little fleshy nub, with no redness or obvious swelling, and should not be seeping on its own. It should not look like a tiny water balloon filled with yellowish oil. It should be clean and free of parasites and overall look like healthy chicken skin.

Abnormalities in the preen gland can be an indicator of other, possibly more serious problems. Very commonly preen gland problems are a result of Vitamin A deficiency, but there may be other issues.

Here's some further information.... this is about parrots but chickens can be similarly afflicted. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/uropygial.html

Question: My Buffs are from a blood line of an old poultry judge buddy of mine that has been working on them for 45 years and they are nice but I would like to improve still yet, so my question is if I can only buy 1 top end bird where would I get the most bang for my bucks from adding a new cock bird or a new hen whats everyone think?

Question: My Buffs are from a blood line of an old poultry judge buddy of mine that has been working on them for 45 years and they are nice but I would like to improve still yet, so my question is if I can only buy 1 top end bird where would I get the most bang for my bucks from adding a new cock bird or a new hen whats everyone think?

Last edited:
smile.png

Last edited:

If you rule everything else out, it might be worth it to check the uropygial gland, also known as the "preen gland" or "oil gland" to look for abnormalities. The preen gland is located just below where you are noticing the oily spots:
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/554images/uropygial_gland.gif

It should appear as a little nub in the flesh, with a strange feather 'wick' sticking out of the tip. It sort of looks like a very small, short paintbrush poking out. It may or may not be noticeable unless you look closely.

The preen gland should be fairly small, a little fleshy nub, with no redness or obvious swelling, and should not be seeping on its own. It should not look like a tiny water balloon filled with yellowish oil. It should be clean and free of parasites and overall look like healthy chicken skin.

Abnormalities in the preen gland can be an indicator of other, possibly more serious problems. Very commonly preen gland problems are a result of Vitamin A deficiency, but there may be other issues.

Here's some further information.... this is about parrots but chickens can be similarly afflicted. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/uropygial.html

Thank you for this information. I checked both birds yesterday and while I was unable to get an actual look at the gland (sooo many feathers) I could feel a small raised area on one of them. Based on the info from the link you provided, I can't imagine that it could be anything else...it fits so perfectly. I treated both birds with a hot compress and plan on repeating that a couple of times just to be sure. Again, I really appreciate the info. I never would have figured this out on my own and I can't thank you enough. :)

John,
I would recommend the cock bird, he can be bred to several different hens therefore having a larger impact on the flock as a whole, whereas a hen would only influence the offspring from the limited amount of eggs she will lay in a given season.

Bo

John,
I would recommend the cock bird, he can be bred to several different hens therefore having a larger impact on the flock as a whole, whereas a hen would only influence the offspring from the limited amount of eggs she will lay in a given season.

Bo

You are so right Bo the Cock bird would be the better bird to go with he can breed more and with that produce more chicks to chose from to help to improve in a season then what a hen could

Back
Top Bottom