Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Brickwall Honey such cute little ones
smile.png

Are you sure this is a rooster? At 7 months I'm still not seeing it. Still no crowing or eggs.

Looking at the saddle feathers they are pointed and as I have found pointed saddle feathers = rooster...
he.gif

This was my boy at 5 months... Thought he might be a hen...

And him at 7 months....

Definitely all boy. So you can see a couple months makes a difference.
I had a couple do me this way... One day girlie hen the next manly rooster....

Bruce

Louie

Ace-

Casper-

Is Casper's saddle feathers pointed because that is looking very henish..... I love the color though, I have not seen a splash like that before... Very nice.

My Blue cockerel from Nanakat -

I swear his saddle feathers showed up overnight and he was 7 mo. old befor I heard him crow.
I think mine booked a flight to a hospital over night.... One day hen acting the next day flaring neck feathers at another rooster and still not crow after 8 months.

Groucho got his name because he is a clown. He runs around like an ostrich and hops like a kangaroo. He is becoming flock guardian though, roaming out to the fringes at free range time and running to any squabble to intervene. He helped me catch a Guinea that got loose. I never would have caught him without Groucho. My LF hen prefer him though the roost together at night, during the day she prefers the company of my tiniest Calico Cochin
I have a full brother to Groucho and he looks identical and I guess acts identical. He hops and runs like an ostrich, too...

They can be ready to show at about 10 months and compete but to truly be ready for a show they will be 20 months or older. If a bird is a solid bird as a young bird and has what I think are all the qualities to develop into a nice cock or hen then I keep them and let them mature out to 20 - 24 months, lots of good things happen in that second year. I showed a hen in Hutchinson, KS on 11/16/13 that was three years old; never was impressed with her as a show bird so I never showed her just used her as a breeder but this year she really came into her own and she was champion Asiatic and champion LF. Never, never, never cull birds that have no obvious defects and exhibit good type until they are fully mature; you may just be throwing the baby out with the bath water!!!

Bo
LF cochins take a long time to mature.... I let mine mature slowly... Give them quality food to allow them to develop slowly, which I believe is important for strong joint and bone structure.... Lately I have been exploring different types of feed and feed mixes. I just started adding soy meal to the feed at a 1/10 ration to a 19% whole grain ration and 21% layer feed to see if the increased protein level will help... So far my whole flock loves it, LF cochins, Ameraucanas, Bourbon Red turkeys and all...

Arabella my lemon blue pullet

Pebbles my splash pullet

I really like your lemon blue hen... Never saw one with that color definition between the yellow and the blue... Pebbles is just so cute...

I understand your loss - our pets are such a big part of each day. Their companionship is huge. We lost our little girl cat in August and my pain is still intense.

I know the pain of losing a beloved, and I will do my best to help you with that.... :)

i lost my only large cochin this week, she left a big hole- they are amazing birds!

if anyone has a few eggs, let me know, otherwise i'll be patitent and wait for spring-

this was her buddy Cass, lost most of the flock to a wasting away- very strange

i lost my only large cochin this week, she left a big hole- they are amazing birds!

if anyone has a few eggs, let me know, otherwise i'll be patitent and wait for spring-

this was her buddy Cass, lost most of the flock to a wasting away- very strange

I'm so sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom