Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I have been raising cochins and brahmas for around 50 years, you have nothing to worry about yet. You should be able to tell in about 4 or 5 months.if they have vulture hocks. If in doubt post pictures when they get older.

I have been raising cochins and brahmas for around 50 years, you have nothing to worry about yet. You should be able to tell in about 4 or 5 months.if they have vulture hocks. If in doubt post pictures when they get older.

Thank you Brady
smile.png
This is my first time with Cochins so now all I need to worry about is gender
hmm.png
which since they are slow growing is a while away.

vulture hocks are unwanted in cochins, a soft hock is fine in a cochin. the soft hock adds to the appearance of a cochin, being round and close to the ground.

vulture hocks are unwanted in cochins, a soft hock is fine in a cochin. the soft hock adds to the appearance of a cochin, being round and close to the ground.

Thank you for the info. I will search this now to find out more. I see the difference now, many pics of the unwanted hock feathers. Glad to know the difference better now, thank you again. No I don't have any vulture hocks on any of my birds.

Last edited:
Hi all.
frow.gif

I will be getting some LF cochin chicks from the feed store on Thursday!
wee.gif
Hopefully they will have a blue chick in that shipment
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quick question . . . How do they feed store large fowl cochins turn out in every bodies personal experience? Do they have good feathering? Health? Coloring? I would really like a flock of big fluffy butts, but it seems they are hard to find in high quality. My IFA is scheduled to get a few different colors in March and I can't decide if I want to try them out. . .

I purchased 4 hens from Meyers hatchery. 2 managed to survive the pecking order and abuse from the roosters and mostly the hens. They are very docile and not an aggressive breed. The large fowl really do meet the weight they suggest in charts. Egg size is medium to large mostly. The only downfall I can see is they can easily be picked on by otheer birds. They have great temperment with people and are very attractive. I hhave the all white color.

Back
Top Bottom