Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Quote:
I have two slow feathering and two very feathered at 3.5 weeks. I can grow them out til they are obvious and determine gender. Luckily for me they are different colors ( or shades). Splash and 'light" blue for lots of feathers and "slate/darker" blue and black for slow feathering. If cochins are like most other breeds, it always seems the males feather in slowly.

Agreed! You have to be careful on how you assimilate the flock. You may have to make some hard decisions.

My flock started with 1 LF Cochin hen.
Then a few weeks later, I introduced an Easter Egger hen.
Then a few weeks late, a fighting bred game hen found her way into my yard. (she has spurs!)
Then a month later, I began freeranging 3 Australorp Pullets with the above flock. Squabbles are rare and the cochin is still far superior to all the hens. My game hen is now hatching LF Golden Laced cochin eggs.

Last edited:
Feed store LF Cochins most often come from major hatcheries. I have a blue cochin hen from a large hatchery, and she is beautiful. They're not show quality but they tend to lay more eggs than show cochins because that's a trait that is bred for in hatcheries. More eggs=more chicks=more money

I ordered 2 different times from ideal poultry and these are my babies.. I need to pick which Roo will be my breeder what is yalls opinion? Also who breeds LF Barred Cochin on fb I can't find anyone.. Or haven't looked hard enough not sure.. I know I need a better quality..

These are cochins? Wow! I have large fowl white and I love them. Roo in picture #159 appears to be the dominant roo based on more prominant tail feathers standing pronounced. Sometimes a less dominant rooster will sort of walk with its tail between its legs so to speak. I wish you can post some better pics of your hens. I admire the barred coloring.
wee.gif

I ordered 2 different times from ideal poultry and these are my babies.. I need to pick which Roo will be my breeder what is yalls opinion? Also who breeds LF Barred Cochin on fb I can't find anyone.. Or haven't looked hard enough not sure.. I know I need a better quality..

I'm no expert, this is just my opinion, but This one is soooooo beautiful. His leg feathering is on point.

I would love some big, beautiful, BBS Cochin hatching eggs. I used to have some Urch line beauties, but that's been a while. I haven't seen anything that compares but I live in Alaska and pickins are slim!

Back
Top Bottom