Large Fowl Cochin Thread

A shoe box lid would be perfect although you might think about using the shoe box as they will be throwing it every where and won't be in the lid for long.

The time varies by bird but generally once they are fully feathered Mom kinda starts doing her own thing again.

As far as flock acceptance, depends. They went out of the nest with mom today and one of my older hens challenged mom (over food) but mom went into a crazy mama rage and I had a hen fight on my hands so the other hen is taking a time out in a cage until the babies are a bit older and more sure footed.

Then I watched and saw another young hen pecking at the babies. Mostly curious I think but they weren't moving out of the way so she got another cage until the babies are a little more savvy.

If the broody is a hen that is higher on the pecking order, you have less challenges and issues. I always like to watch them as much as possible the first week to see how the mom and the others are handling it.

...sounds like you have your hands full!

Hopefully I'll be putting my chicks out into their coop this coming weekend. Hubby reckons it'll be finished then. They are certainly getting too big for their brooder.

I've heard to keep them in the coop for a while before letting them out to free range, so they will return to the coop on their own in the evenings. How long should I keep them cooped up?

BTW when I'm watching my chicks I sit with the brooder door open. They come over to me and "groom" my hair!!! Or they come to the open door and sit down and fall asleep close to me. I'm hoping this is normal behaviour. Or at least behaviour that shows they aren't scared of me...

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread and also a cochin lover, especially large fowl. This year in July I will be visiting the US and I wanted to know which breeders are there in the US around July and have eggs for sale?

...sounds like you have your hands full!

Hopefully I'll be putting my chicks out into their coop this coming weekend. Hubby reckons it'll be finished then. They are certainly getting too big for their brooder.

I've heard to keep them in the coop for a while before letting them out to free range, so they will return to the coop on their own in the evenings. How long should I keep them cooped up?

BTW when I'm watching my chicks I sit with the brooder door open. They come over to me and "groom" my hair!!! Or they come to the open door and sit down and fall asleep close to me. I'm hoping this is normal behaviour. Or at least behaviour that shows they aren't scared of me...

I would keep them in at least two days.

Yes, they think you are mama. If you handle broker babies a lot they become very friendly and there is nothing wrong with that.

Hey guys, I'm new to this thread and also a cochin lover, especially large fowl. This year in July I will be visiting the US and I wanted to know which breeders are there in the US around July and have eggs for sale?

I like Roslyn Pickens in Danville, Arkansas. She is fairly close to me and breeds beautiful birds. You should be able to find her on Facebook. If not, message me and I can connect you. Sounds like a fun trip!

Hey guys. I will be coming to the US in July. I am looking for some hatching eggs of top quality cochins. Does anyone have some available around Boston or Denver or any place close to these areas?
Or does anyone know any good breeders who they could direct me to please?

Time to forage!

Back
Top Bottom