Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Anyone looking for LF Cochin chicks? I have 7 for sale right now. They are over a week old now. $15 each plus shipping. I'd like to sell them all together. PM me if interested. Thanks!

A shoe box lid would be perfect although you might think about using the shoe box as they will be throwing it every where and won't be in the lid for long.

The time varies by bird but generally once they are fully feathered Mom kinda starts doing her own thing again.

As far as flock acceptance, depends. They went out of the nest with mom today and one of my older hens challenged mom (over food) but mom went into a crazy mama rage and I had a hen fight on my hands so the other hen is taking a time out in a cage until the babies are a bit older and more sure footed.

Then I watched and saw another young hen pecking at the babies. Mostly curious I think but they weren't moving out of the way so she got another cage until the babies are a little more savvy.

If the broody is a hen that is higher on the pecking order, you have less challenges and issues. I always like to watch them as much as possible the first week to see how the mom and the others are handling it.

I am interested in LF Cochins. Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 or 2 chicks. I live in Alabama and would need them to be shipped. Thanks for your time.

Cindy

I am interested in LF Cochins.  Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 or 2 chicks.  I live in Alabama and would need them to be shipped.  Thanks for your time.

Cindy

It's pretty hard to ship just one or two chicks. I would ship you some when they're about 6 weeks old and I could fit two in a box. I have LF lavenders. I have 4 that are 5 days old, 2 lavender and 2 black split to lavender. I also have 8 eggs under a broody on day 2. If you want to wait, I could ship you two. And they could be frizzled or smooth. I'm not a breeder of Cochins, but did a swap for these because I want some potential broodies. I breed Swedish Flower Hens. Are you looking for a pair or pullets?

I am interested in LF Cochins. Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 or 2 chicks. I live in Alabama and would need them to be shipped. Thanks for your time.

Cindy
Hi! I have LF Cochins. They are Blue Buff. I will have chicks at the end of this month if you're interested. I've attached pics of my adults. Please PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!! :)

I have a question I am not sure of a customer is asking.
I have LF Cochin purchased from 2 different breeders. To my knowledge neither set of Cochin I have have ever had a frizzle in their line.

My customer purchased 3 lf black cochin from me at 2 weeks old. The chicks are now six weeks old. One of the chicks has come up with
curled feathers as you can see in the pictures. She wants to know when the curled feathers will smooth out. I am curious as I have a couple
more I kept with the same curling.
The photos were taken a few weeks ago but if you have an answer I would sure like some insight on the curled feathers.

thank you for your help.

Most likely those were either damaged while growing or simply not enough room at the time and got turned by the feathers around it. As the chick grow it will keep replacing feathers. I have never had one still have a twisted feather past 3 months old.

Question brought up in another cochin thread! What are the recognized sizes in Cochins? Bantam, Standard and Large Fowl? Or are any not bantam called LF?

Back
Top Bottom