Large Fowl Cochin Thread

I've been kind of reading up on that.... I would love it if they would get into a kiddy plastic pool with a couple inches of water in it. Getting ready to put in misters tomorrow.

We don't have any misters. So far my chicks won't get in on their own so I'm dipping them myself lol. I will also take the frozen 2 liter bottles and sit them around the coop where they lay. All my chicks will huddle around it to cool off.. :)

I've been kind of reading up on that.... I would love it if they would get into a kiddy plastic pool with a couple inches of water in it. Getting ready to put in misters tomorrow.

Hi,I also put frozen bottles around for the birds to lay near and I add them to my waterers. Watering down the shaded parts of the run help as well. Any frozen fruit or veggies will too. I make ice blocks with fruit and vegetables in them and place them out for them to peck at too. Empty plastic ice cream container works great for this. Very jealous you can have misters.

How large do Cochins get and if they are in a covered pen how about the heat how does that affect them?

Sorry for the late response.  I have been out of town.  It depends on the line of Cochins as to how big they get.  Some are tiny bantams and I have seen a rooster that was 15 lbs.  You can get a good idea by looking at the parents of any birds you are buying.

As far as heat, there are a number of factors that affect that.  Most birds have more issue with heat than with cold.  I have never heard anything about Cochins being any more sensitive to heat than any other birds.

Xs2, if you can see the parents you can get a better idea on your chicks adult sizes as Puddin said. I hope you have a breeder close to you! I have one within an hour from me who is awesome. They have some bantam but they specialize in LF Cochin, and are they LARGE! But even with great breeding sometimes you may get an oddball who is bigger/smaller.

Covered pen inside or outside? If inside, give em a fan if fully feathered. I have quail in a brooder type pen in my one coop and we have a fan on them for better air flow. That pen is mostly closed except for the front and air holes on the sides. But I run a fan in my coop once the inside temp is over 80.

Last edited:

This is Fluffy, He is double the size of my hens but its mostly fluffy feathers. The humidity here in Ohio can really do a number on the chickens so in the day I let them out to find cool spots under the bushes. I need to put a fan in the coop for the broody hens even though I take all their eggs daily.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints for hot weather! Will try all of them... I just tried putting one of my chickens feet in a short water dish... she had a fit. So I guess I'll have to see if she is going in by herself.The frozen water bottles are an awesome idea. I do give them cold watermelon and zucchini and we had a special cover made for their pen so they are not in the Sun but today it's so hot my thermometer says it's a 104 degrees and their panting, have their wings all spread so I've been going out and sprinklering their run. And letting them out where they can actually dig in the leaves under the trees very shaded area.

This is Fluffy, He is double the size of my hens but its mostly fluffy feathers. The humidity here in Ohio can really do a number on the chickens so in the day I let them out to find cool spots under the bushes. I need to put a fan in the coop for the broody hens even though I take all their eggs daily.
Ohhhh my i love his pic! Thank you for showing him again! I have a hen to match him,and should have my own splash males soon. Yes the weather in Ohio has been rough this summer. Our part keeps getting skipped with the rain, only a tenth here and there.

Hey guys how early can you start noticing the difference in gender with the large cochin? I have 5 3 week old Cochins and I'm trying to guess sex. 3 black and 2 partridge. I can't tell much difference right now so I'm wondering if they are all the same gender... any good sexing tips would be much appreciated? Thanks. :)

Generally mine at 3 weeks are beginning to get comb and wattles if they are boys. Just barely, kinda pinkish but more noticeable than the girls.

These are pics at 4 weeks. If you look in front of mama the one furtherest out front with the white spots is the only girl facing you. If you look close at the combs you can see a difference.

This is the same little girl and two boys that you can see their faces.

Some are bantam and some are LF but comb development is about equal on them.

Generally mine at 3 weeks are beginning to get comb and wattles if they are boys. Just barely, kinda pinkish but more noticeable than the girls. These are pics at 4 weeks. If you look in front of mama the one furtherest out front with the white spots is the only girl facing you. If you look close at the combs you can see a difference. This is the same little girl and two boys that you can see their faces. Some are bantam and some are LF but comb development is about equal on them.
By 4 weeks I should know for sure then. Those are pretty clear. Right now all mine are still flesh colored but the combs are getting bigger.

Back
Top Bottom