Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Just wanted to stop by and say that I saw more colors of large fowl Cochins at this weekends Ohio National Show than I had ever seen before.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I saw more colors of large fowl Cochins at this weekends Ohio National Show than I had ever seen before.
I can just imagine!
love.gif

I usually catch this show every year, but this year in particular there seemed to be many more unusual colors there among the large fowl.

Thanks, I'm just hoping for 6 or so eggs. Our birds are just pets and for egg laying so they don't need to be show quality. Hopefully someone out there will let us buy some.
I have LF Partridge Cochins. My roo should be mature and breeding by spring. I also hope to get NPIP at the first of the year. I would sell some hatching eggs then.

I'm hoping to find someone that sells hatching eggs, preferably partridge color. wanting to buy in Spring. We got a partridge cochin in our cackle surprise box in Aug. and she was my 7yo son's favorite. unfortunately she died and now my son is devastated. I told him in the spring we can try to get more. He likes the partridge color but is willing to get any color available. If you sell hatching eggs, I'd love to get some.
So sorry to hear about losing your lovely bird. I just bought Large Fowl Cochin / Frizzle hatching eggs from eBay, and am having them shipped. There are more available, and the seller is highly rated. I know this is not the best time of year to ship eggs, and that shipped eggs are tricky, but I am giving it a try. The seller is Barking Farms, if you are interested. They say they have breed show-quality birds, and they do have many colors.

Meet Boots, our first LF Cochin and our first roo. We started with a few brown eggers, but we thought if we added a rooster, he would keep the girls rounded up if we let then free range. Our neighbor's birds are all over the place, and we thought a roo would at least get them home, instead of at the neighbors.
Boots is one of the few survivors of a flock that lost 30 birds to a Mink, and the lady decided to fold it up. We looked in Kijiji for roosters, and there he was. What a character! Nobody gets picked on now, because Boots is right in there to break it up. He doesn't let the girls go out in miserable weather, and herds them inside at the least sign of trouble. We got him from a flock that had other roos in it, so I imagine he thinks he's died and gone to heaven, being the only boy.
I can't say enough about his personality. He's a gentle giant, and now he comes right over when we approach, because there's usually some scraps to be had. The funny thing is, the rats were eating us out of house and home before Boots showed up, but since, not a sign of them.
We're hooked now. There aren't many here in Nova Scotia, so we will have to get some eggs flown in come Spring and see what comes of it.

Meet Boots, our first LF Cochin and our first roo. We started with a few brown eggers, but we thought if we added a rooster, he would keep the girls rounded up if we let then free range. Our neighbor's birds are all over the place, and we thought a roo would at least get them home, instead of at the neighbors. Boots is one of the few survivors of a flock that lost 30 birds to a Mink, and the lady decided to fold it up. We looked in Kijiji for roosters, and there he was. What a character! Nobody gets picked on now, because Boots is right in there to break it up. He doesn't let the girls go out in miserable weather, and herds them inside at the least sign of trouble. We got him from a flock that had other roos in it, so I imagine he thinks he's died and gone to heaven, being the only boy. I can't say enough about his personality. He's a gentle giant, and now he comes right over when we approach, because there's usually some scraps to be had. The funny thing is, the rats were eating us out of house and home before Boots showed up, but since, not a sign of them. We're hooked now. There aren't many here in Nova Scotia, so we will have to get some eggs flown in come Spring and see what comes of it.
Very cool! Where are you getting the eggs from? I know most breeders won't even sell chicks and will NEVER sell eggs. Unless you are getting them from a hatchery. My suggestions is to get some Blue, Black, Splash eggs. Since he is a splash that way you can breed them for Blues and Splashes

Back
Top Bottom