Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Here's a few pics of my first ever chicken hatch...Large Fowl Cochins, born 3/25/11 I'd appreciate any feedback on type, color, sex. Thanks.
66186_img_2780.jpg

66186_img_2791.jpg

66186_img_2777.jpg

66186_img_2776.jpg

66186_img_2773.jpg

They look like they are growing good and they seem big to me, but it's much too early to give any real opinions on type and color because they will molt several times before they get their adult plumage. You can get a kind of a good idea just by generally how big they look and yours look pretty good sized for a month old. It's also a little difficult to tell based on a few pics and not seeing them in real life. Foot feathering looks like it will be pretty good, too.

Quote:
It looks to me like he is still growing...But 9 months to a year is not usually fully mature for large Cochins. You can get a decent idea what you have, but they will still grow and fill out for quite a while sometimes maybe even 16-18 months. I have heard of people showing big, slow growing breeds like Cochins and Brahmas as cockerels until they are 18 months because they still don't look like mature birds at that age!

wee.gif
I'm so excited I found this thread! I just got started with LF Cochins about a week ago, and I absolutely ADORE them. They are the sweetest, calmest chicks I've ever had. Here are a few pics of my babies, and I'm excited about showing everyone their progress as they grow!
86165_2011-04-28_12-14-09_99.jpg

Buff baby
86165_2011-04-28_12-14-57_670.jpg

Not sure on this one, there is a little blue around the face. Splash maybe???
86165_2011-04-28_12-15-32_345.jpg

Partridge baby
86165_2011-04-28_12-16-14_871.jpg

I think this is a white, not sure though
86165_2011-04-28_12-17-13_950.jpg

I think this ones either blue or black, some of them are looking a little more blue but I'm obviously having telling alot of them apart. So any input on color is very much apprieciated. I'm so looking forward to seeing more pics of everyones big, beautiful birds
D.gif

Been breeding large blue cochins for 10 years and they are one of the hardest to get color I have ever seen. I normally used black males on blue females to get good lacing but in the past 6 years I have gotten very few blues and as a result I am down to one hen. I managed to get a cockerel a few weeks ago from a friend in Arkansas and today I have 4 blue cochin chicks hatched from 4 eggs set which for me is a miracle! Plan to get about 15 blues if the genetic combinations favor me in that respect. Jerry and Beth Smith had some of the best laced blues I have ever seen but I'm not sure if they are still working with cochins. I also saw in the Poultry Press where Linda Tobia had a nice win with a blue hen. This is a variety that is lacking in dedicated breeders and could be as good in quality as the blacks since they are interbred.

Bo

P.S.

Rudy,
I have 10 partridge chicks out of the trio I got from you and I now have fertile eggs from the other male. The chicks are very dark which is a good sign they will carry the rich mohogany color they need.

Audbun..the chicks look great so far I think, nice feathering! Its looking like Im going to have to order blue pullets. I just can't find and hens as of yet to add to my blacks.

Quote:
You're doing better than me! I have only 8 out now, but there are some eggs in the incubator! I hope they're fertile after trimming the vents. Do you generally do that to improve fertility?

My Giant buff is getting along great with all my bantam cochins. She is in the grow-out pen with some 15 and 11 week old mille fleurs.
63162_dscn3465.jpg

63162_dscn3479.jpg

Back
Top Bottom