Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
I just discovered this thread. So much interest for the large cochins I've haven't seen before. Also in Europe the big ones are less popular than the small ones. At the club I joined in Holland (I'm from Belgium) there are always much more breeders from the small ones than the big ones. So very nice to know that there are breeders in the US.

I personally breed cochins for over 20 years. I once began with the buff (yellow), but soon I went on to all other colors. So now I have them in 9 colors, I also compeet at shows for 5 years now with good results.

I want my cochins to be as broad and very fluffy as possible. Type should be good (round and hanging forward). I don't like the cochins that are to high because they remind me to much of a brahma. Many years ago the cochins in Europe were much heavier than the cochins that are now around. I know have a cochin barred male that I wayed and he ways 12 pounds. He is my best cochins since years and got 96 point at a show nearby Brussels (97 is the max you can get).

I regret that there are not much barred cochin on this thread. The barred cochins is one of the oldest colors there were at the origin. I always can remark that they become the most heaviest of al my colors. This is also why I will be using them to put them against my silver laced.

Barred is also perfect to use to improve the partridge, better than black. Only in 2 generations you will have again laced females. I've seen all the pictures here of the partridge cochins and there is a big difference between the color of these in Europe and the US. The partridge in Europe are much lighter. But here they also need to improve in type, roundness and broadness. I personally will use the barred ones this year and put him against a perfect laced females. My project with my yellow cuckoo is done and they are spread so now there is time for partrdige.

My best barred male at an age of 7 months

Nearly grown out

At a show

His sister

These cochins are a little bit dark, next year I will breed them lighter. In europe we say cuckoo to the barred ones. The dark ones are best to be used to be put against other colors. The male is just perfect for against my blacks, silver laced and partridge.

Last edited:
Setting up breeding pens this week. Decided to move around the big pens and reconfigure before putting the trios and quads in them. We have two days of nice weather...glad the pens are chain link panels...much easier to work with. Will also give me some time to clean the portable coops and get them set on brick. Hope ther are enough hours in the day...

Bartcochins..really enjoyed seeing your photos.

Someone asked about housing for Cochins....they need a big pop door and plenty of shoulder space on the roost bars. Two of my standard Roos can take the same space as four Large Australorp hens. My tallest rooster stand 22 inches tall and is 18 inches wide....and he is still growing.

Last edited:
I just discovered this thread. So much interest for the large cochins I've haven't seen before. Also in Europe the big ones are less popular than the small ones. At the club I joined in Holland (I'm from Belgium) there are always much more breeders from the small ones than the big ones. So very nice to know that there are breeders in the US.

I personally breed cochins for over 20 years. I once began with the buff (yellow), but soon I went on to all other colors. So now I have them in 9 colors, I also compeet at shows for 5 years now with good results.

I want my cochins to be as broad and very fluffy as possible. Type should be good (round and hanging forward). I don't like the cochins that are to high because they remind me to much of a brahma. Many years ago the cochins in Europe were much heavier than the cochins that are now around. I know have a cochin barred male that I wayed and he ways 12 pounds. He is my best cochins since years and got 96 point at a show nearby Brussels (97 is the max you can get).

I regret that there are not much barred cochin on this thread. The barred cochins is one of the oldest colors there were at the origin. I always can remark that they become the most heaviest of al my colors. This is also why I will be using them to put them against my silver laced.

Barred is also perfect to use to improve the partridge, better than black. Only in 2 generations you will have again laced females. I've seen all the pictures here of the partridge cochins and there is a big difference between the color of these in Europe and the US. The partridge in Europe are much lighter. But here they also need to improve in type, roundness and broadness. I personally will use the barred ones this year and put him against a perfect laced females. My project with my yellow cuckoo is done and they are spread so now there is time for partrdige.

Nearly grown out

At a show

His sister

These cochins are a little bit dark, next year I will breed them lighter. In europe we say cuckoo to the barred ones. The dark ones are best to be used to be put against other colors. The male is just perfect for against my blacks, silver laced and partridge.
Absolutely marvelous birds, Thank you for sharing!

This is my LF Buff roo He is still growing and just came out of a rough molt. Behind him is Peaches, my Buff hen. She is a large girl but he is Much larger.

Last edited:

Nearly grown out

At a show

His sister

Thanks for posting these. I haven't seen any quite like them. Beautiful.

@ mjgigac: I like the buff female, nice color she has. I also like the broadness of her head.... If she is a young one from 2012 it is really special to have a head on such a young one.

Thx for the compliments on my barred ones. Really happy with them too and planning on getting lots of young ones of them.
Because I like the good, round and heavy type on the male I've put him now against my silver laced females. Very curious what will become of this. What do you think?

Last edited:
@ mjgigac: I like the buff female, nice color she has

Thx for the compliments on my barred ones. Really happy with them too and planning on getting lots of young ones of them.
Because I like the good, round and heavy type on the male I've put him now against my silver laced females. Very curious what will become of this. What do you think?

LOVE those girls!!

@ mjgigac: I like the buff female, nice color she has

WOW what a massive boy! He is beautiful do you sell eggs or chicks?!!

Back
Top Bottom