Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics
Koruna-

Here is a link you might read through for a good understanding of the blue gene. It is from an Australian site that is a bit more advanced than the general postings here on BYC.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7968728

Regarding the "dun color" you are seeing in your blues. I suspect that it is either gold/red leakage and not really the dun gene. Dun I believe is what's a whole bird color. That is, it would change most/all of the colored feathers rather than blotches in a few spots. Leakage usually occurs in the hackle, saddle, and backs.

Dave

Koruna-

Here is a link you might read through for a good understanding of the blue gene. It is from an Australian site that is a bit more advanced than the general postings here on BYC.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7968728

Regarding the "dun color" you are seeing in your blues. I suspect that it is either gold/red leakage and not really the dun gene. Dun I believe is what's a whole bird color. That is, it would change most/all of the colored feathers rather than blotches in a few spots. Leakage usually occurs in the hackle, saddle, and backs.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the GREAT link! Very helpful and informative.

Great thread! I just got 3 day olds LF Cochins. The girl who hatched the eggs wasn't sure what they are she just knew they were LF eggs and they have feathered legs.

Finally got to take a few pictures of my cochins. They are about 8-9 months old. What does everyone think of them at this age? I think they are looking nice but would like a "seasoned eye" to take a look. Also they do not have bunny tails. They are molting there tails at the moment so they look more "bunny taily".

Finally got to take a few pictures of my cochins. They are about 8-9 months old. What does everyone think of them at this age? I think they are looking nice but would like a "seasoned eye" to take a look. Also they do not have bunny tails. They are molting there tails at the moment so they look more "bunny taily".

The comb is all wrong and the foot feathering is terrible on the silver laced....
lau.gif
just kiddin they look nice for young birds , I like the blues.

I am getting ready to put together a breeding pen and I need to pick the best birds out of my flock. I have spent hours looking at photos of show quality and show winning birds, but they are all from the side. I think I have finally got a good sense of the proportions I should be looking for in my large fowl, from the sie, but would love some "top down" photos so I can evaluate birds for width of body, tails, leg fluff, etc.

I would also like a bit of clarification regarding "bunny tails". I have been to other sites and threads where they say cochins have bunny tails - but on cochin threads they say they shouldn't. Very confusing. What does the defect look like on a cochin? I have a Standard of Perfection, but I guess I am just too visual and can't translate the descriptions into reality.

Thanks again for all the help and advice. This is such a great group!

Korina

Last edited:
There have been a lot of discussions of bunny tails on the wyandotte thread. A bunny tail is when there are no stiff or "hard" feathers in the tail to keep its shape. A bunny tail is just puffy, soft feathers that make a circle out of the tail.

Here are some examples.

This is a bunny tail. See how there are so stiff feathers? The feathers just fall into a circle shape on his tail. (Photo courtesy of the wyandotte thread)

Here is a tail on one of my wyandotte girls. See how this tail doesn't turn into a circle? The stiff feathers keep the shape of the birds tail.

Bunny cochin tail. Very common in bantams of many breeds. The bunny tail Is less of a problem in large fowl (at least for wyandottes) not sure how much of a problem it in is large fowl cochins. (Photo courtesy of the Wyandotte thread)

Wyandotte bunny tail. (Photo courtesy of the wyandotte thread)

Back
Top Bottom