Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Hi All. I posted this on the Cochin thread but another member stated that since I have LF Cochins rather than bantam, that I might get better feedback here. For those of you who subscribe to both threads, please excuse the double post.

First of all let me apologize for the length of this post and the size of the pics...spent two hours trying to reduce them with no luck.

Secondly, I'll apologize because this is a "What sex is my chicken" post.

Long story short - I have the opportunity to purchase some excellent quality chicks and would like to know what I already have before I choose new chicks to add to my flock. I have 7 LF Cochins that are 8 weeks old. I am only sure of the sex of one of them. I have read the "how to tell..." Posts but what I read is conflicting with what I see. Six of the chicks feathered quickly and I have one late bloomer. Five of the quick to feather have red combs and wattles, a couple with yellow tips. The slow starter has a small yellow comb and no wattles. Any help you can give is appreciated! Okay, enough rambling here are the pics...

1. Minnie...the one I'm fairly certain is female
image-4.jpg

2. Eve...my first hatch
image-6.jpg

3. Bunny Blue...blue chick
image-1.jpg

4. Pearl...self blue?
image-2.jpg

5. Danny Boy (although I have no idea if this is a male)...black splash?
image.jpg

6. No name
image-5.jpg

7. And the ugly duckling
image-3.jpg

Again, any insight into sexing these guys will be appreciated greatly!! :)

Hi All. I posted this on the Cochin thread but another member stated that since I have LF Cochins rather than bantam, that I might get better feedback here. For those of you who subscribe to both threads, please excuse the double post.

First of all let me apologize for the length of this post and the size of the pics...spent two hours trying to reduce them with no luck.

Secondly, I'll apologize because this is a "What sex is my chicken" post.

Long story short - I have the opportunity to purchase some excellent quality chicks and would like to know what I already have before I choose new chicks to add to my flock. I have 7 LF Cochins that are 8 weeks old. I am only sure of the sex of one of them. I have read the "how to tell..." Posts but what I read is conflicting with what I see. Six of the chicks feathered quickly and I have one late bloomer. Five of the quick to feather have red combs and wattles, a couple with yellow tips. The slow starter has a small yellow comb and no wattles. Any help you can give is appreciated! Okay, enough rambling here are the pics...

1. Minnie...the one I'm fairly certain is female
image-4.jpg

2. Eve...my first hatch
image-6.jpg

3. Bunny Blue...blue chick
image-1.jpg

4. Pearl...self blue?
image-2.jpg

5. Danny Boy (although I have no idea if this is a male)...black splash?
image.jpg

6. No name
image-5.jpg

7. And the ugly duckling
image-3.jpg

Again, any insight into sexing these guys will be appreciated greatly!! :)

Hoping I am wrong here but looks like you may have six boys and a pullet. The last one is still a toss up but to be feathering that slowly is usually a cockerel. My pullets don't get combs and wattles til they are near lay.

Hoping I am wrong here but looks like you may have six boys and a pullet. The last one is still a toss up but to be feathering that slowly is usually a cockerel. My pullets don't get combs and wattles til they are near lay.

Ugh...that is exactly what I was afraid of. Thank you replying. Maybe now I can make a good decision on the new chicks I'm getting. I'm still going to keep my fingers cross for number 4 ...he/she is a very good looking chick and has no wattles yet I really want it to be a pullet lol. Your help in confirming my fears is very much appreciated. :)

Oh no!

I just found this thread this morning, I am a new chicken owner, after reading about these beauties and seeing how gorgeous they are, I think I will be adding these to my flock! I love them already and don't even own any! Ack! Chicken math!

Here is a picture from a white male from me of the end of januar. He is not ready yet, I hope his feathers will grouw better out on his back towards his tail.

Good morning! I have a broody hen and would love to put some eggs under her. I've been searching for someone who sells LF Frizzle Cochins eggs. Does anyone know anyone who does? I looked in the sale forum here but only see bantams...

Check out the Cochins International website and look at the breeders directory you will be able to find your answers there and they'll be people that are working on breeding them to the Standard.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom