1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large Fowl question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dracoonfly, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dracoonfly

Dracoonfly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    My family and I attended the Boston Poultry Show a couple of weeks ago (our first real chicken show other than at the fair) and were amazed to see all the ginormous chickens there. They are categorized as Large Fowl, yet I've never seen a mention of anything but standard or bantam when I researched breeds. Can anyone tell me more about them? Are they the result of breeding big birds together to get larger versions of a breed or are they hybrids of some sort? Is one breed more recommended than another?

We came home with a couple bantams to add to our flock, but I'm considering a couple of LF hens when we visit the Poultry Congress at the Big E in January.

Thanks!
    Sharon

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    "large fowl" and/or standard is the same thing. The birds exhibited at poultry shows are bred to the APA standard, which includes standards for size and weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by