Large gash on 13 week old Chick.

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Alright, I'm not having the best week. So I went outside to feed everyone and noticed one of my Welsummer chicks wasn't moving. So I walked up to her and picked her up to see she had a pretty nasty gash down her neck. I brought her inside where it's warm (65F) and put her in a small container with some shavings in it, I cut the feathers around the wound and put some Biozide Gel on the wound, I then put a cotton pad on it and wrapped it up with medical tape. I gave her some water through a syringe (Without the needle) Not much though.. She wont get up but she does peck at the shavnigs (Pine) She'll pant for a few seconds then stop for like a minute and repeats the panting thing. Is she too hot? or maybe thirsty? She's sleeping right now.. Should I try and feed? If so should her feed be soupy instead of dry? If i'm doing something wrong or missing something please feel free to speak out. . Oh and here's a picture of her.. She's sitting right next to me while i'm typing.
20180125_103540.jpg

It goes down a bit further but some of the feathers are in the way..

She may be in shock. Gently check her over for any other wounds/punctures that may be hidden under the feathers, look under the wings and inspect her legs. The wound is on the neck, so she could possibly have some nerve/spinal damage, time will tell.

Any idea what caused the gash - hung up in wire, rooster, predator, etc.?

See if she will drink from a small cup when held to her beak. If you have electrolytes add those to her water.

Let us know how it goes. When you look at the wound again, you may want to leave the dressing off of it, covering the wound with your ointment should be sufficient.

She may be in shock. Gently check her over for any other wounds/punctures that may be hidden under the feathers, look under the wings and inspect her legs. The wound is on the neck, so she could possibly have some nerve/spinal damage, time will tell.

Any idea what caused the gash - hung up in wire, rooster, predator, etc.?

See if she will drink from a small cup when held to her beak. If you have electrolytes add those to her water.

Let us know how it goes. When you look at the wound again, you may want to leave the dressing off of it, covering the wound with your ointment should be sufficient.
The only wound is on her neck, I'm thinking maybe the other chicks in with her kept pecking at her during the night or morning? Not sure but it seems pretty fresh.. No roosters are in with her. There's nothing in the coop she could of caught it on and they don't go outside. She just stood up to stretch then sat back down so at least I know she can stand. I tried offering water to her but she refused. How long should I kept the wound covered for? Until it scabs over?

Clean out the wound with warm water, put some neosporin on the wound, and then spray Blue Kote on it.
I flushed out the wound pretty good before covering it up. I'll have to look around the house for some neosporin but for now the Biozide gel will have to do. I don't have any blue Kote either but I could pick some up while i'm out at tractor supply. She seems to be perking up a bit more, Moving around a bit and grooming her feathers. She's panting more now so i'm thinking she's too hot. Should I move her to a cooler room or just put something coldish next to her?

Yikes! Only for a little bit, Cracked open the window and a blast of cold air came in. I'm going to have to find a bigger container for my chick, She's standing up now and looking around the room and did her thing, Her waste looks good. It isn't watery or soupy or discolored. so that's good I guess..

Yikes! Only for a little bit, Cracked open the window and a blast of cold air came in. I'm going to have to find a bigger container for my chick, She's standing up now and looking around the room and did her thing, Her waste looks good. It isn't watery or soupy or discolored. so that's good I guess..
Maybe put her in a dog crate so that there’s airflow. If her poops look normal then she seems like she’ll be fine.

Maybe put her in a dog crate so that there’s airflow. If her poops look normal then she seems like she’ll be fine.
I moved her into a larger container with the lid off and locked her in my bathroom. I left her some water in the container as well, I'd put her in a dog crate if I weren't using them all already for other chicken/duck related reasons :th.

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

Back
Top Bottom