Large lump behind leg. Seeking advice

Snap111

Hatching
Nov 24, 2020
IMG20201125164415.jpg

Hi all. First of all thanks to the community for helping me in the past with previous threads I've managed to take advice from.

Unfortunately one of my recently acquired girls who is somewhere around six months old has a large lump behind her right leg. It is inflamed and she doesn't like me grabbing it at certain angles. Has always been one to mostly keep to herself as she is low on the pecking order. No other symptoms although her poo is more green than usual. Actually found it checking over her for mites/lice.

Looks like there is a scab, maybe over an original wound? Access to vets who treat chickens in my area is not feasible unfortunately. I live in aus and access to medications/antibiotics is generally difficult.

My current ideas are:
1. Cut the scab off and see if it begins to drain, although the lump doesn't feel overly squishy.

And/or

2. Spray with cetrigen and hope for the best.

Any insights/help appreciated.

It probably won't "drain" as chicken pus is solid, waxy stuff. If it were to drain, the lump would feel more like a water balloon. Airsaculitis, inflammation of one of the many airsacs chickens have can swell up, but I don't recall any airscacs in that location.

If this chicken is producing green poop, that indicates she isn't eating for some reason. It could be she's got infection going on. How is her behavior? Do you see her eating and drinking? Is she vocal and active? Or is she lethargic, inactive, poor appetite, hanging by herself in a corner or near a wall away from the other chickens?

If she's behaving normally, eating okay, and vocal, the infection may still be localized and treating it as you state in "option #2" would be practical.

It probably won't "drain" as chicken pus is solid, waxy stuff. If it were to drain, the lump would feel more like a water balloon. Airsaculitis, inflammation of one of the many airsacs chickens have can swell up, but I don't recall any airscacs in that location.

If this chicken is producing green poop, that indicates she isn't eating for some reason. It could be she's got infection going on. How is her behavior? Do you see her eating and drinking? Is she vocal and active? Or is she lethargic, inactive, poor appetite, hanging by herself in a corner or near a wall away from the other chickens?

If she's behaving normally, eating okay, and vocal, the infection may still be localized and treating it as you state in "option #2" would be practical.

I have given it a spray and will keep an eye on it.
She is definitely eating and drinking normally but is generally a bit lethargic and likes to mostly keep to herself. I will keep an eye on it/keep it as clean as possible and hopefully it heals itself. I'll also treat her separately when I do so to make sure she is keeping her calories up.

She has been quiet since getting her but my girls generally always have been. Thanks for your comment.

Back
Top Bottom