large lump... need help

squeak1387

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
bronson, fl
I have a chick about 6 weeks old. she is a turken chochin and polish mix. just recently i have noticed she is forming a large lump on the right side of her neck. any one have any idea what it is and if there is any way to fix it? she seems to be eating and drinking just fine. seems like she grows every day. here are a few pics to illustrate what I am talking about

91919_img_20110927_201401.jpg

91919_img_20110922_152110.jpg

do you mean on the right side of her chest? If so it is her crop. It fills up when she eats and then gets empty over night.
ETA: is that it in the top pic? In the second shot it looks like her crop maybe?

Last edited:
the top pic was taken today but the other one was about a week ago. you can tell in the pic how much bigger it has gotten. also a bit that might help is it is soft and squishy.

i am pretty sure it doesnt, it seems to get bigger each day and never really goes down. but just to double check this i will make sure to bring her in and check on her in the morning, maybe even take another pic. cause i just took the top one before i posted this thread.

Quote:
i have not noticed any other symptoms, she seems to be doing ok, but with how large it is, i am a littel worried. it really is that big, her head is back because i was holding her tilted back to get a good pic. she eats non medicated chick feed

Last edited:
You may want to do a search on crop issues...impacted maybe? I had a serama hen that had some sort of issue but it was obvious she didn't feel well. I picked her up and water ran out of her crop. I massaged her crop for a while and in a couple hours she was feeling better and the next morning it was down so something must have shifted. What has she been eating? Anything new? Grass? Does she get grit.

Back
Top Bottom