Large Lump Under Chicken's Backside

SMHChickens

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 26, 2013
Hi everyone, I could use some help. I have an Easter Egger who is less than a year old, and has developed a large lump that protrudes from the underside of her body just beneath the vent. I looked on the forums and found one other one called "Large Lump" where someone had the same problem. She did minor surgery on her chicken to try to help.

I'll post a picture here, but the lump is partially covered by feathers in the picture. It is actually quite large & hangs down from the body, so it's bigger than it looks in this picture.

If you have any knowledge about what this is, and what I can do about it, please let me know. She seems to feel okay, is still eating and drinking and behaving normally, and is even still laying eggs. I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you!!

It could be a hernia, or a cyst or tumor. I have seen a picture of one like that which was was an ovarian cyst, and another of a terratoma. A terratoma is a cyst full of tissue from all different parts of the body. I doubt if there is much you can do, but when she dies, hopefully years from now, I would open up the area, and take some pictures. Here are some links to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/685262/severe-bulge-under-chickens-vent-pictures-please-help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/120841/bald-butt-and-swollen-below-vent/20

Eggcessive, thank you so much for posting those links. I didn't know what to search for to find a thread about it. I read through many posts and now at least I have some understanding of what it could be... but it seems it could be due to one of several causes. I will probably get a syringe or make a small incision to see whether it seems to be full of liquid or pus. If little or nothing comes out, then I'll assume it is a hernia (so, full of the chicken's intestines) or something else I can't do anything about. It was helpful to hear that many other people have had chickens with this problem and that some of them have lived for months or years.

Thanks again!!!

I'll try to remember to update here later, to let you know what happens with her.
hmm.png

Keep in mind that some cysts may be full of fluid. Many people will withdraw fluid from the abdomens of chickens with ascites, and that fluid will appear yellow. There can be ovarian cysts, and different kinds. I really don't have experience in all of this myself, but have just read other's posts. If she is not having any problems breathing, or any other distress, I probably would leave it alone. A vet could always Xray her abdomen, but those can be expensive. Many birds live with those things for awhile. Keep us updated on her condition.

Back
Top Bottom