Large Lumps on chickens face

lenardh

Hatching
Sep 22, 2020
I have a 4 year old Americana hen that developed lesions over both sides of her face and in her mouth. The lesions on the side have turned into large masses. Thought she had wet pox virus with the mouth lesions. She has also had a lot of wet secretions that turned into yellow mucous, so I treated her with dixycycline and the secretions are now clear. Have also been applying acyclovir to her face and in her mouth but the masses are increasing in size slowly. I tube feed her daily and have been doing this for almost 4 weeks now. She walks around and looks alert. Can someone tell me what these are other than pox virus lesions and what else I can do to treat these. They are not abscesses.

Attachments

• Sissy 005.JPG
    Sissy 005.JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Sissy 006.JPG
    Sissy 006.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 30
It may be canker (Trichomoniasis), if there are yellow lesions or masses in the mouth and throat. (It doesn't look like pox to me).
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker
You can also google 'chicken canker' and get some images.
If that's the case then metronidazole or acidified copper sulfate are the most common treatments. You can get metronidazole as a fish antibiotic online.
Hopefully some others will chime in.

In reference to the article on canker, this is not a canker. Canker presents with lesions of the mouth and esophagus. I am a licensed surgeon and can obtain most any medications I need. The lesions over her face, started out as scabbed areas, the scabs came off, then masses grew where the lesions are located. I have been applying acyclovir and the masses seem to be decreasing in size and are forming scabs now again and appear to be drying up some..
The lesions are not rock hard like a cancer nodule would be but somewhat soft. I opened one the smaller lesions and got nothing but blood, no pus.
I fully believe these are viral lesions. She tries to eat but the food falls out of her mouth. I am almost sure these are wet pox virus lesions. It is very sad that almost no vets take chickens serious enough to learn about their diseases. I have taken chickens to vets in the past and they killed my chickens with their medications.
Thank you for all your input.

I believe my chicken has Mareks with neurological problems and cutaneous masses. I am treating with acyclovir since this is a herpes virus and that would account for the huge masses on her head. I am attaching more pictures of her face. Apparently the herpes virus can cause lymphomas both externally and internally. Expect I will lose her but right now I tube feed her and give her acyclovir. Bought her from a breeder in Ft. Pierce but doubt she was ever vaccinated. She is 4.5 years old and a wonderful, friendly chicken. So sad. Nerve involvement would also account for her wry neck.

Attachments

• Sissy, Sulcata 002.JPG
    Sissy, Sulcata 002.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Sissy, Sulcata 004.JPG
    Sissy, Sulcata 004.JPG
    525.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Sissy, Sulcata 017.JPG
    Sissy, Sulcata 017.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom