large marble-sized scabby bump on my EE's comb

Clemmy

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
My EE has a large marble sized bump on her comb. its firm, and scabby. Ive been trying to reaserch the cause and what I can do...
she is at the bottom of the pecking order and has a bare spots from picking that are healing slowly.

Any suggestions??

:fl

Pictures may help. Where do you live? Is it cold or warm there? An abscess from a peck wound or injury may be a problem, or possibly a tumor or cyst. If it is hot and mosquitoes are out, it also could be a fowl pox scab.

Sometime today try a picture closeup in light. Many peck wounds will eventually heal on their own without treatment. Tumors or cysts can be common.

My EE has a large marble sized bump on her comb. its firm, and scabby. Ive been trying to reaserch the cause and what I can do...
she is at the bottom of the pecking order and has a bare spots from picking that are healing slowly.

Any suggestions??

:fl
I am sorry I can't be of much help but hope it gets better.

ok eggsesive, should I do any exess care for the cyst?? could this possibley kill my EE?????

Depending on what it is, I would just watch it. If it seems like an abscess, you can try to lance and drain it, but combs are quite sensitive to pain, and can bleed a lot. If it is a tumor, not much can be done. A wound will eventually heal. I don’t do a lot of handling and treating scrapes, and don’t intervene much. Just make sure the other chickens do not peck at it. Some use BluKote or gentian violet to cover the wounds to hide them. Iodine works that way as well.

Back
Top Bottom