Large open wound with maggots

She’s still alive! But she’s pooping worms? Her poop was solid yesterday and this morning. There were a couple of small spots of blood in her wound tonight, which intuitively feels like a good sign? Gave her another dose of doxy.

Attachments

• 0014E08D-1F61-4092-8F4E-B7A86CBEB92E.jpeg
    0014E08D-1F61-4092-8F4E-B7A86CBEB92E.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 22
She’s still alive! But she’s pooping worms? Her poop was solid yesterday and this morning. There were a couple of small spots of blood in her wound tonight, which intuitively feels like a good sign? Gave her another dose of doxy.
Those look like roundworms. Poor thing is in bad shape.

Have you ever dewormed your whole flock? If not now would be a good time.
Safe-Guard for goats or horses will work.

Those look like roundworms. Poor thing is in bad shape.

Have you ever dewormed your whole flock? If not now would be a good time.
Safe-Guard for goats or horses will work.
No, I haven’t. I’ve had chickens for 4 years and have never seen any. I will do it now though, thanks for the rec! I wondered if she already had them and the doxy drove them out.

No, I haven’t. I’ve had chickens for 4 years and have never seen any. I will do it now though, thanks for the rec! I wondered if she already had them and the doxy drove them out.
Yes she already had them. They don't get that many roundworms over night.

Yes she already had them. They don't get that many roundworms over night.
The attack would have been sometime on Tuesday, but I’m not sure if that matters.

I just ordered some safeguard. A review says to put 5ml in 4 gallons of water for chickens. Would you recommend doing that once or more than once?

The attack would have been sometime on Tuesday, but I’m not sure if that matters.

I just ordered some safeguard. A review says to put 5ml in 4 gallons of water for chickens. Would you recommend doing that once or more than once?
It's roundworms.
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) is dosed per pound. Dose each chicken at 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once, then repeat in 10 days. This treats Roundworms only.

If you want to treat other worms, except for Tapeworms, then give 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Safeguard settles out of water, so best practice is to dose each bird individually to ensure they are getting the medication.

For this hen with the wound, I would get a weight on her and dose her. Then just get a weight on a few of the other hens and get sort of a ball park, then dose them. Safeguard dosing has a bit of wiggle room and it would take a lot to overdose them.

Back
Top Bottom