Large scale (1000 ++) pasture questions

I have raised 600+ birds per year several times and 200+ more than a few times. All on pasture in pasture pens, organic feed, butchered on farm and sold on location. I can tell you that there are easier things to be doing. Easier businesses to start. but this is necessary work in this day and age.

It's a big investment - brooder+equiptment, pasture pens, feeders, waterers, crates for butchering to transport them, butchering supplies, packing supplies, plus a bunch of other things that aren't crucial but make life alot easier. Probably want a tractor or 4 wheeler with cart too depending on size of land.

Not to mention, feed has gone up 20% since last season (seriously), and you need to have enough money to buy feed for basically the entire season. For us, it was about $1-2k per week to feed 300-400 birds at a time. The amounts per week fluctuated because of the staggered nature of the individual batches. The price of chicks has gone up a good bit as well in raction to the cost of feed. That will be a seasonal start up cost since you will want to preorder chicks for the entire season in early spring.

I dont want to get into too much detail here, but also had to build a dedicated butchering facility due to state law, our initial investment was a good bit more than 10k.

Staggered batches are the best way to keep the flow of chickens coming through the season without having to invest in lots of freezer space.

1)Market research, 2) small scale trials and 3) test sales are your best friends :) Do those three things for at least 1 or 2 years before you start. Hold a job that makes money while you do your trials and testing. Have a back up plan for where the funding will come from.
Cheers and good luck, please ask more questions!

Last edited:
You forgot Mosquitoes the size of small cargo planes. ;)

Ok, this made me laugh…several years ago, we had the opportunity to relocate …I was thinking warmer, maybe even FL. Spouse was not interested in such a year round warm locale, but put it into terms I would understand. “BUGS…lots of bugs, and they are BIG bugs”. Oh, right…good point, food for thought. Lol we did not move to FL.

@CountryGirlCityChicks Ohio allows for an individual to process and sell from your “doorstep” quite a large number of home processed chickens. I’m sure there are other states with a similar high limit. But, if you want to sell through a grocery store, at a farmers market, or to a restaurant, that requires a whole other level of oversight.

If you want to grow specialty chickens (soy free or whatever you are thinking) you can do that, but have a USDA inspected facility butcher for you instead of butchering yourself. There are a few such places in Ohio. In Bradford, Ohio there is King and sons processor. They require a certain number of birds min, I think 100, and there is a fee, but it’s all done according to guidelines and chickens are packaged/sealed when done. So, you can see their website to get an idea what a small USDA inspected processor offers, even if it’s not not close to you, still it’s info to gather. You may have a processor close to you.

This is not unlike when a small farm raises a small number of beef cattle. They often have a small USDA processor handle the processing for them. But, they sell the quarters/half/wholes to individuals.

Good luck

You should see the palmetto bugs!
Otherwise known as cockroach, if you're poor.
last century, Parents retired to Texas close to the gulf. I visited and took a shower.... seen a giant roach and then felt something on my foot...tranatrrula spider so big it's feet went over both sides of my foot. Fast bugger, I was trying to smash it with the shampoo bottle and it got away. ... Good thing I'm not afraid of bugs and spiders.

Back
Top Bottom