Large wound on backside of chicken

Thank you for posting the other picture, the wound is deep isn't it.
Hopefully with the excellent advice you have been given she will be on the road to recovery in no time.

I've been soaking and doctoring. I'm not seeing any maggots, and there are not any flies near her. She fell asleep in her soaking tub this morning. Do you all think that big of a wound will close up? I called the AR livestock and poultry lab this morning, and am waiting for them to call me back. Thank you all so very much.

It's possible that is will heal over, chickens are fairly resilient.

It sounds like you are taking good care of her. As mentioned earlier, encourage her to eat and drink, you can add some vitamins to her water if you like, also extra protein whether through a commercial feed, tuna, mackerel, salmon or eggs will be beneficial.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/07/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

How's that for dedication, she's in CCU and still laying. I'm so hopeful that she is going to pull thru this awful mess.

That is flystrike.
Keep bathing her bottom and gently wipe with soft cloth. Betadine diluted with water is good to flush the wound with.
Dry her, use Vetericyn spray and keep her isolated. Give vitamins and electrolytes in her water for 2 or 3 days.
She is a beautiful girl and I wish you the best.

I would avoid hydrogen peroxide and using antibiotic ointment on her.

Hydrogen peroxide is VERY harsh on a chicken's delicate skin... not to mention intestines. Use either betadine OR chlorhexidine (you can get it at Walgreens by the hydro perox or order it by the gallon online). It burns a little, so hold her tight.

If you use chlorhexidine, you will NOT need to use antibiotic ointment.

Flies and maggots LOVE dark, warm, goopy places. Filling her full of ointment MIGHT make matters worse, even though you're totally trying to help.

I hope she makes a full recovery!! Just watch her to see if she goes off her food and water. I'm glad she's still eating and drinking!

You're doing a great job. :)

MrsB

Hydrogen peroxide is VERY harsh on a chicken's delicate skin... not to mention intestines. Use either betadine OR chlorhexidine (you can get it at Walgreens by the hydro perox or order it by the gallon online). It burns a little, so hold her tight.

Flies and maggots LOVE dark, warm, goopy places. Filling her full of ointment MIGHT make matters worse, even though you're totally trying to help.

I hope she makes a full recovery!! Just watch her to see if she goes off her food and water. I'm glad she's still eating and drinking!

MrsB
I might add here diluting the peroxide half water half peroxide will not sting so bad. People just should not pour undiluted on a flesh wound of that size.

Under VERY close supervision, she got out of CCU to have q snack with the other girls. You don't have to beg her to eat. Question, can it be flustrike even if there are no signs of flies or maggots?

MrsB

X2

I was schooled by cockers not to use hydrogen peroxide on wounds. It cleans but delays healing because, even if diluted, it will kill new cells. Betadine is the way to go. It does the same thing but doesn't kill new tissue.

Back
Top Bottom