Larger Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buster, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My 10 hens have laid about 4 medium sized eggs a day for the last 5 weeks since I got them. The New Hampshire Red eggs have been the largest and the speckled sussex and partridge rocks have been the smallest. My lone EE hen has been right in the middle. But over the past 4 days, I've been getting Speckled Sussex eggs that are WAY larger than large store bought eggs. Is there an explanation for this? Would it have anything to do with the weather warming up? Just curious, I hope they keep it up.

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    listen to this my hen (bonnie) laid a 3 inch long egg and inch in a half thick egg wow!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    As they get better and better at the making of the eggs the eggs tend to get bigger and level out. Mine are now mostly all a bit larger than the large size from the grocery. I do know as time goes by the orp eggs will get larger. I think your sussex eggs are normally larger than you expect as well.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

thanks missprissy- they are about 10 months old. Is this still quite young to be in there "groove" all the way yet?

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Mine are getting larger also, I weighed them and they are xlarge, that is my RIR's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by