Larger quail eggs, should I incubate them?

lauramacf

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Webster Groves
When I read about selecting eggs for incubation there is usually a warning not to incubate larger than average eggs. Can anyone tell me why?

I have one hen who consistently lays larger than average eggs. Her eggs are just bigger than the other hens' eggs. She is a jumbo, like the others, and yet she is larger than the others, so she is a jumbo Jumbo.I would like to incubate her eggs because of her size and the rooster who is her mate, should I NOT incubate them because she lays larger than average eggs, OR would it be okay to incubate HER average size egg (meaning, use eggs that are "average" for her, even though they are larger than the other hens' eggs)? I would definitely avoid incubating those that are probably double yolkers, because every once in a while she will skip a day and then lay a doozy, so I'd definitely not incubate those).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Laura

Almost three weeks ago I recived some eggs from a member in here, and I got one egg which was really big way bigger than the other and I decided to put it in the bator just to see what would happen, well today is day 15 and it's time for lockdown and I candled that huge egg and there's definatly something inthere, now let's just hope it hatches! I'll let you guys know what happens.

Interesting post/string, found this as I was searching if a Quail egg increases in size as she ages or if the egg size just fluctuates randomly... not sure I have a clear answer on that part yet...

Another related question along these lines: if the eggs do get gradually bigger but both small and large eggs from the same bird get incubated and hatched, is the offspring going be the same size as adults or will the egg size determine the bird size? You’d think that various eggs sizes from the same bird would still produce the same DNA outcomes and therefore same size adult birds, right? Or does environment and epigenetics play a role here?

Larger than average would be larger than average for that particular bird. If she normally lays a large egg, and they aren't normally double yolks, I'd go ahead and try it, what have you got to lose?
smile.png

Older hens lay larger eggs - if there is consistency you might be on to having a larger breed of bird. Larger eggs normally have double yokes and struggle to hatch. Try it out if you have some spare incubation space

Back
Top Bottom