Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
Screenshot_20230306-122347_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Culled the last of the definate foot issues. Have one or two that can still go either way, but I think they will be fine. Unfortunately Bishop, one of my bachelor boys was in the last group.

Now next weekend I can work on some of the extras properly. Starting with Big Boy's son. The male has started to get nippy and with his size, I won't tolerate that

Sorting through the silkies to pick out who's staying. Think I have 14? Maybe 15 and I'm trying to cut down to 8 in the silkie pen and then 2 males foe sexlinked bantams.

Either Cheese or David is throwing crooked beaked chicks. Out of like 7 or 8 chicks this last batch, I have 3 with varying degrees from 'could probably do just fine with a bit more watching' to 'yeah, I wouldn't risk it'. One was noticeable as a chick and the other two I noticed withing the past couple weeks. The one as a chick aslctually didn't progress as much as I feared. All 3 seem just fine eating the crumble. But their top beaks are noticeably curved. Like someone hit them in the face with a dodgeball.

The original 5 are all staying, and the 2 pullets from last year if I can find them again. And then the little tiny partridge girl.

The boys look like last year's pullets, but with black tails. Nothing too special. Might only keep 1 though instead of 2, depending on toes. Too busy pulling dodgeball faces to count toes yet except on one male theat just got unlucky enough to be pulled when I saw his back toes

One of the cockerels in the silkie pen is crowing. He's cute, but only has 4 toes on wach foot. So I've got to decide if I'm willing to have that as a trade in for my sexlink bantams. They'll be mixes anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

The 3rd place male has the right number I think, he's just..... meh.

Here's the least affected of my affectionately named "Dodgeball Faces".
20230322_181735.jpg
20230322_181742.jpg
20230322_181748.jpg

Her beak closes, but her beak is actually crooked right where her nostrils meet the beak. You can also see how she's a bit long in the tooth.

She's a screamer too, holy cow

My one legged gal might have a new job next year. She's broody, and pretty fierce so far. If she does a good job, I'd be more than happy to give her duck eggs next time she has a hankering to brood.

Back
Top Bottom