Larkwell Valley (2023)

Pics
100% hatchrate! I'll do a head count later on, there's gotta be at least 9 under her though, all sorts of different colors. One looks just like her siblings did as chicks
20230610_123147.jpg

So, I stole 3 of cochin mama's chicks. The smallest 3, they were being edged out and outcompeted with the older ones she was raising. Unfortunately, of the three, I lost the one I was most interested in seeing grow up. Like.... literally lost it. I can't find it anywhere, so he's likely gone for good.

Also I think One Leg is broody again. She's sleeping on a big pile of eggs tonight.

@The Moonshiner 's eggs are hatching right now too. 2 are pipped, a 3rd is rocking. Hoping all 13 kinda popcorn outta there like Golden Child's did (all hatched in less than 24 hours). They will probably go to my phoenix that's brooding right now, Auntie. Then Java will take her eggs and I'll move Java's to under One Leg if she's still brooding.
20230610_215115.jpg
20230610_215027.jpg

Head count!
20230610_214112.jpg

17, maybe 16. Might counted 1 twice. Several look like mama and grandmama did as babies, hopefully they look like Golden Child. 1 looks like Giggles and Blitz did, and the rest look like they're probably pheonix chicks. I'll look at combs when they get a smidgen older.

Golden Child thinks she's a game hen with her reaction to me scooping her up to take the photo. Never had a hen that fierce after the final egg hatched

Head count!View attachment 3537277
17, maybe 16. Might counted 1 twice. Several look like mama and grandmama did as babies, hopefully they look like Golden Child. 1 looks like Giggles and Blitz did, and the rest look like they're probably pheonix chicks. I'll look at combs when they get a smidgen older.

Golden Child thinks she's a game hen with her reaction to me scooping her up to take the photo. Never had a hen that fierce after the final egg hatched
I'll have to see about tagging them in a week to guess on colors, at least for the Phoenix looking ones. The solid yellows will feather out white if they're Phoenix, the darkest should feather out normal gold duckwing, the others will probably be something like my weird khaki/dun/who-knows-what ones I keep getting. Don't see any silver/blue arrows though unfortunately. I really want to know what those are, and the only 2 I've gotten from this flock both didn't make it to feathering out

Also my one female quail is destined to be alone unfortunately. I pulled her because the male was getting too rough, and they've been where they can all see each other for weeks while she healed, but within 3 hours of her being put back, she had the stuffing knocked out of her. She's much happier back on her own with the ducklings that pop in occasionally

Back
Top Bottom