Laryngitis in ducks?

Feathered Friend 252

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
Hey there. I have had ducks & chickens for 8 months. No problems until this month. My next door neighbor recently started poisoning the rats and Ive found 3 dead so far in and around our coop. Two nights ago I rushed my drake to the vet thinking he might have ingested something because he was doing a sort of cough and they said the likelihood of ducks getting sick from ingesting a poisoned rat is very low. They did xrays and bloodwork anyways though and found high white blood cells and inflammation and air pockets. Sent me home with metacam and antibiotics. He is acting normal, eating drinking besides the cough. Then my other duck is acting normal except when she quacks she sounds like she has laryngitis. I have no idea what it could be. Ive looked in the books and founf nothing, then found you all. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can’t afford another $1000 vet bill.

If the vet thought infection warranted antibiotics, I’m kind of surprised he/she wouldn’t have given enough for the flock.

If she is acting ok, eating and drinking, pooping normally, eggs seem ok, I wouldn’t be too alarmed yet. I would just keep a close eye on behavior.

I don’t know what could be the reason, but I have one duck that suddenly had a voice change, and she has always sounded weird since then. So it could be isolated. But with the other issue you had, just be watchful.

Back
Top Bottom