Lash Egg — what next?

I also mix oregano leaf into their crumbles, I buy in bulk. I also grow some herbs and berries in their outdoor run. Many things will survive if the roots are protected from being dug up. You can lay hardware cloth around the base of the plant, or build shallow frames covered in hardware cloth so they can only eat what is tall enough to stick out, saving the roots, a good way to provide tender greens. I feed lots of chickweed in the spring when it's coming up all over my garden (I don't use pesticides or herbicides, so all is safe). I also use aloe, they will eat it if you put the leaves or plant in the run, and I've used this http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/product/aloe-herbal-detox-formula/ which has sometimes helped with ascites, which often happens with salpingitis, temporary help, but has made them more comfortable without draining. You can also put down some large rocks, blocks or even a plank or plywood and leave for a few weeks undisturbed, then move it to a new spot. It will be full of all kinds of bugs & stuff underneath, free chicken treats and nutrition and entertainment. As previously stated, do some reading, there are lots of sites and books on the benefits of herbs and other plants. Many people use garlic, but be cautious. Garlic has health benefits, but is also toxic in large quantities, and we are talking about 4-6 pound birds in general. Sometimes it's just trial and error to see what helps.

Hello Sharwig,

Right now, I am providing Rooibos tea to my chickens. But, I also use Echinacea tea when a chicken is sick and needs the extra boost for the immune system.

Rooibos tea is high in mineral content and has many advantages. It is known for calming muscle spasms and indigestion as well as possessing anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is rich in antioxidants too. This tea is from South Africa. Very safe for birds, however, it is such a potent herb, that you don't want to use it if you are administering any kind of medication to your chickens. Remember, herbs are the original medicines.

I am using it right now, because I have one hen with some pain in her leg, due to an old injury. Another hen is dealing with ascites build up, which is also uncomfortable. The whole flock drinks the tea. It is beneficial for all of them, they also have their fresh water to drink, if they so chose. They love it.

The tea you decide to use, depends on the health or environmental issue you are trying to remedy, or improve. You should start with a weak tea to allow the chickens to get used to it, and to monitor the effects. Always do your research before using herbs.

I hope this was helpful.

God Bless :)

I’ll do some research! Thank you!

I also mix oregano leaf into their crumbles, I buy in bulk. I also grow some herbs and berries in their outdoor run. Many things will survive if the roots are protected from being dug up. You can lay hardware cloth around the base of the plant, or build shallow frames covered in hardware cloth so they can only eat what is tall enough to stick out, saving the roots, a good way to provide tender greens. I feed lots of chickweed in the spring when it's coming up all over my garden (I don't use pesticides or herbicides, so all is safe). I also use aloe, they will eat it if you put the leaves or plant in the run, and I've used this http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/product/aloe-herbal-detox-formula/ which has sometimes helped with ascites, which often happens with salpingitis, temporary help, but has made them more comfortable without draining. You can also put down some large rocks, blocks or even a plank or plywood and leave for a few weeks undisturbed, then move it to a new spot. It will be full of all kinds of bugs & stuff underneath, free chicken treats and nutrition and entertainment. As previously stated, do some reading, there are lots of sites and books on the benefits of herbs and other plants. Many people use garlic, but be cautious. Garlic has health benefits, but is also toxic in large quantities, and we are talking about 4-6 pound birds in general. Sometimes it's just trial and error to see what helps.

Yes, "Lily of the Desert, Aloe Vera Detox 80" I always keep a bottle in the refrigerator. It's a really good support product for ailing chickens. It also has Milk Thistle to support the liver, among other nurturing and detoxifying herbs. :thumbsup

If your chickens had infectious bronchitis in the flock last year, I would not even consider culling them. Some do have some problems with wrinkled or thin shelled eggs afterward, but the disease itself will only make them carriers for 5 months up to a year. As long as no chicks are hatched or new birds added for a year, there will be no further cases. Of course wild birds can bring diseases in.

The funny egg in the picture may or may not be something that happens again. It could be that her shell gland was affected by the IB, but chickens can get all sorts of egg laying problems. As my original chickens get older, I notice a lots of funny shells and meat spots. There are a couple of good articles to read about “common egg quality problems,” if you Google that. Also read about salpingitis for more info. I think your funny egg might not necessarily be a typical lash egg, but just a blip in the egg laying process.

Back
Top Bottom