Lash egg/bullying

Chicken04086

Hatching
Dec 30, 2022
My 2.5 yr old golden comet has layed 2 lash eggs about 3 weeks ago. The other hens, flock of 12, then began to be so mean to her. She couldn’t get food, water, pecked her bloody at night in her spot on the roosting bar. I gave her epsom soaks a couple weeks ago just before she came inside and she produced the first lash egg a couple days later. I free range during the day so I placed the extra food and water away from where they usually go. They literally will not ease off her. So I brought her inside, have her in the entryway in a dog crate. She looks better- eating and drinking well and color on comb is dark pink/ reddening up not pale and bluish like before. I let her in the hallway to clean the crate yesterday and her stool is watery and she layed another very small lash egg. She refused the oregano boost I put in her water. What can I do?

I’m reading and realize my times seem off but with the holidays it’s all a blur:) it’s been 3 weeks since the Epsom soak and lash eggs

Chickens can sense when something is wrong with a member of the flock, they want her away from them so predators pick her off first (in theory). 2.5 years is about as old as production birds get before stuff like reproduction issues happen. there's likely not anything you can do, it might be best to consider putting her down.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like she's likely to recover, and the flock can sense her weakness.

If you really want to make an effort to save her, she needs to be treated with antibiotics - a epsom soak will do nothing. Salpingitis can be either bacterial or viral in nature, and antibiotics can treat a bacterial infection (viral is not treatable). I use enrofloxacin - dosage and treatment info can be found on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg.1441042/

Back
Top Bottom