Lash egg / salpingitis diagnosed - what next?

Tapeworm looks like this:
If tapeworm is what you have then you will need either equimax horse paste or zimectrin gold (med is praziquantel) to treat. Vinegar will not treat them.
Dosing is in post #6 here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/
You can get amoxicillin (fishmox) online, you can get SMZ-TMP online as bird sulfa, you can get enrofloxacin at pigeon suppliers on line.
Are these safe for egg laying chicken though?

They are safe. Most wormers come with a 14 day egg withdrawl recommendation, so if you worry about that, then toss the eggs for that long. Some people follow the recommendation, some ignore it. The risk is small, mostly that someone might have an allergic reaction to any medication residue that found it's way into the eggs. If the eggs are for your and your families personal use, then do what you are comfortable with as far as withdrawl, if you sell eggs, then I would not sell during the withdrawl period. I've used most of the common wormers at one time or another, some I use very regularly, I've never had an issue with any of them. If you know you have a worm issue, then that is what I would use.

Interesting. My dog was given a prescription for carprofen (75 mg) for pain. Same stuff?
Yes! Sorry that I didn't get back sooner. Same thing -- to reduce the swelling.

My hen went through another round of abx- this time clavamox. We also had an ultrasound done and the vet could see an abscess within her abdominal cavity. She has finished all of her meds and is doing well. She is occasionally starting to lay some small "lash egg" type infection. I'm not sure if that means she is getting worse of if she is expelling the infection. Unfortunately, there just isn't a lot of information to guide the treatment of pet hens.

She is occasionally starting to lay some small "lash egg" type infection. I'm not sure if that means she is getting worse of if she is expelling the infection. Unfortunately, there just isn't a lot of information to guide the treatment of pet hens.
I have attempted treatment on about 8 hens for this over the last 10 years. None of mine have recovered. My guess is that while the antibiotics might slow it down, it's really resistant to treatment, and the fact she's expelling lash material would indicate the issue is not resolved. And you are right, there is not much information on it that is useful out there. I will continue to attempt treatment for those that I think it may be early enough in the future, but my hopes are not high based on past experience.

Improvement with antibiotic therapy isn't a cure, and this type of peritonitis because of reproductive disasters can't be fixed with meds alone. Abdominal surgery? Maybe, but not practical or often successful either.
Chickens are mostly bred for good production for a short time, not for longevity. Most breeders use birds no older than 18 to 24 months of age, so health issues happening after that time are not considered.
It's very sad, when we want our birds to have long and healthy lives.
Mary

Thanks everyone, can you share what the final days looked like? My lash egg laying chook is acting as if eggbound: mostly laying idle, barely moves, eats or drink (wouldn’t if I didn’t help); I’ve tried the hot bath, the calcium etc.
we did have a heatwave here a few days ago so could be that too. Could be coccidiosis. I’m just totally lost. It feels like she might die today or tomorrow out of sheer exhaustion

I've had some go fairly quickly. Others lived longer, a couple made it 18 months or so. Those that survived longer gradually slowed down. Body condition deteriorated (keel became very prominent) despite feeling heavy, due to the matter in their abdomens. I had one that had an abcessed ovary (identified at necropsy) that did not get heavy, she just slowly got thinner and sicker, the infection became septic. Sometimes when they are able to pass a mass of lash material they will feel better for a time, but it generally will build up again. It can also sometimes cause a complete blockage, and death will happen from that. When they no longer want to eat or drink, are lethargic, or are isolating themselves, then the end is usually near. The matter in their abdomens can make them feel like they need to lay an egg, so they may spend time in the nest box trying, or may act egg bound. Some may also develop ascites, fluid in the abdomen, which will make them even more uncomfortable. I leave mine with the flock until they are obviously feeling unwell, not eating or drinking, isolating themselves, then I euthanize, rather than let them suffer needlessly. They are very good at hiding the illness and discomfort, so if they are obviously not feeling well then you can be assured that they really do not feel well. I'm very sorry about your hen. :hugs

Happened here today, and related to your problem; This noon one of my seven month old Chantecler pullets was unexpectedly found dead in the coop. :hit Tonight I did a necropsy, and she had egg shells at her vent, and yolk and pus in her oviduct. Not even one year of age, and already a wreck!
Not obviously sick either, although having over forty birds, i might have missed signs of illness too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom