This is very helpful for this hopeful chicken mama. I currently have a very unique situation with what I think is a prolapsed event that had a lash egg attached to the end of it and struggling with bacterial vent delete because of the clear liquid and diarrhea excreting around the area. The thing is, this chicken is acting entirely normal. Eating, drinking, pooping, scratching, dust bathing. I've kept her separate and a kennel and not until day 6 was I finally able to remove all of the last egg from her prolapsed vent gently guiding it back inside. I think I just need to get a hold of some antibiotics now. Because this chicken wants to live. And I don't mind if she ever lays again. I just love her and so do the rest of her flock. Thank you for sharing your story.
Good idea to get your hands on some antibiotics. Do you have an avian vet nearby?

Good idea to get your hands on some antibiotics. Do you have an avian vet nearby?
I'm trying natural stuff now. Vinegar, antimicrobial spray, honey. I'm noticing she's a little inflamed now that we do this a couple times a day. I think I'll check the natural herbal healing for inflammation too.

Update on Tina. As of yesterday she started eating some normal organic layer crumbles out of my hand! For the last three weeks she's had zero interest in the normal food. Also normal looking poops and no lash eggs. We're still not out of the woods yet but this is definitely a positive sign!

Update on Tina:

Here's a whole timeline of all the interventions:
Silkie 3 yrs old. 2.4 lbs
12-7-2022 found a lash egg
1-24-2023 tried fish cephalexin 2 times per day on bread
3-21-2023 laid another lash egg so obviously not getting better
4-7-2023 started cipro antibiotic 2x per day. Still not getting better.
5-11-2023 switched back to AquaCeph because not sure what to do
5-16-2023 Able to finally get into avian veg. We did a hormone implant and dewormed Tina. Stopped antibiotics.
5-24-2023 she had stopped eating due to implant so I started tube feeding 3-4x per day 20ml each time. Also doing cherry juice, calcium, probiotics and vitamins in tube feed.
6-6-2023 started injectable Zosin (antibiotic) 7-days, 2x per day (plus tube feeding)
7-3-2023 check-up with vet. She looks good. Start doing tube feeding 1x per day at night only. She said chickens can sometimes get lazy with eating on their own if they are tube fed for too long. Sink or swim time!
7-10-2023 stopped all interventions. Tina is eating on her own and doing great. Lost a little weight, but seems to have gained it back.
7-17-2023 here she is this morning. She's still doing great!

Tina 7-17-2023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom