Lash Egg?

Your chicken may have salpingitis, and inflammation of the oviduct. They can have lash egg material, and parts of eggs (membranes, yolk, albumen.) Antibiotics may be of some help early on. Most people can obtain amoxicillin (sold as Aqua Mox or Fish Mox online and sometimes in a few feed stores.)
Baytril or enrofloxacin could be prescribed by a vet, and sometimes it can be found online as 10% liquid enrofloxacin. It is banned in chickens, but some vets will prescribe it for certain infections in backyard flocks. Here is an article with good pictures of the oviduct and reproductive anatomy:
https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/avian-reproductive-female/

It's important to figure out which hen has passed this material, as others already pointed out. Look for the one hen that is slow, tail down, quiet, perhaps fluffed up.

Infection is likely at the root of this, so when you see the hen that is acting "off", she needs to be started on the antibiotic @Eggcessive indicated.

It's very suspect. Do you know who the layer is?

Is she acting ill? Has anyone recently had any egg quality issues? Salpingitis usually occurs due to an internal tear (oversized egg or shell broke internally), and I've heard it can occur after a respiratory infection as well.

It's an internal infection which your hen will try to pass via puss. The puss can be soft, like cottage cheese, or hard like a boiled egg. Softer is generally better, meaning the infection is fresh and you have a better prognosis.

A hen with salpingitis may have a swollen gut, localized fever, and will be showing signs of discomfort. - not their usual selves, fluffed up, disinterested in flocking etc...

Antibiotics are strongly recommended to help treat the infection, but I've also found isolated care and warm Epsom salt soaks to be beneficial.

Salpingitis isn't contagious and you should be able to pinpoint a likely cause. (With my pol pullet, it was oversized double yolkers in her first week in the lay - pullets aren't meant to lay goose-sized eggs :/)

It could also be ovarian material or other reproductive issues; unfortunately, I've only had experience with salpingitis in a very young pullet, so at least the above may be able to help confirm or rule it out. The lash eggs I've seen were never as fleshy as in your pic, so it very well could be something else.

Back
Top Bottom