Lash material?

@Blessedwithhens She is doing well! I finished the course of amoxicillin, then gave her 3 days dose of enrofloxacin when it came in. A few days after passing the lash material she went through a heavy-ish molt. Now, just a day ago, she began doing her "egg squat" so I now she'll start laying soon. I'm nervous about her laying again and will be sure to keep her calcium up. Overall she's been acting like her normal self! Here is Eggo hanging out with me and my other little baby 😊

Attachments

• 20230813_083947.jpg
    20230813_083947.jpg
    824.4 KB · Views: 9
@Blessedwithhens She is doing well! I finished the course of amoxicillin, then gave her 3 days dose of enrofloxacin when it came in. A few days after passing the lash material she went through a heavy-ish molt. Now, just a day ago, she began doing her "egg squat" so I now she'll start laying soon. I'm nervous about her laying again and will be sure to keep her calcium up. Overall she's been acting like her normal self! Here is Eggo hanging out with me and my other little baby 😊
How is she doing now? Did she lay again? I have a hen that pushed out some lash egg material today. Will start amoxicilin tomorrow.. For how long did you do?

How is she doing now? Did she lay again? I have a hen that pushed out some lash egg material today. Will start amoxicilin tomorrow.. For how long did you do?

Do you have any update? I have a hen that is having this issue.

How is she doing now? Mine just laid a lash egg today. She's 8 months old and has been laying for a couple months now. I think one yolk broke inside her
@arubio92 Welcome To BYC

I see that one of your hens may be having some difficulties and you've quoted posts for responses on several threads that are months old and the Posters may not even be active and see your questions.

Often to get responses, it's best to start your own thread - include information like symptoms, age of bird, what you feed along with photos of the hen, her poop and any material she has expelled -like the lash egg.

If your hen did indeed lay a Lash Egg (Salpingitis), then you you can try treating her with an antibiotic. You also mention you think a yolk broke inside her - so there's 2 problems or events? She laid lash material, then yolk (no albumen/whites or membrane) was expelled from the vent?

1702870542298.jpeg

@arubio92 Welcome To BYC

I see that one of your hens may be having some difficulties and you've quoted posts for responses on several threads that are months old and the Posters may not even be active and see your questions.

Often to get responses, it's best to start your own thread - include information like symptoms, age of bird, what you feed along with photos of the hen, her poop and any material she has expelled -like the lash egg.

If your hen did indeed lay a Lash Egg (Salpingitis), then you you can try treating her with an antibiotic. You also mention you think a yolk broke inside her - so there's 2 problems or events? She laid lash material, then yolk (no albumen/whites or membrane) was expelled from the vent?

View attachment 3707733
She laid a soft shell egg on the roost, but on the poop tray there was a broken yolk. I was hoping someone laid a shell less egg and they started to eat it. But now I think she laid the yolk and it could have been broken inside her. A couple weeks later she laid another soft shell egg and found another yolk. 2 days later the lash egg material.

She laid a soft shell egg on the roost, but on the poop tray there was a broken yolk. I was hoping someone laid a shell less egg and they started to eat it. But now I think she laid the yolk and it could have been broken inside her. A couple weeks later she laid another soft shell egg and found another yolk. 2 days later the lash egg material.
Thanks for this.
I see you did start a thread so will continue with replies there. Here's a link to your thread in case you need it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-and-yolks-on-the-poop-tray.1606856/

@arubio92 Sorry for the late reply! So since this latest incidence of lash, she went through a molt, then looked like she was ready to lay again. From what I could tell, she only laid maybe one or two soft shell eggs (the girls ate them, I suspect, I just think they were soft shell because they won't usually bother normal eggs). Weeks have passed and she is acting completely normal, not laying, but I did see another small, poop sized piece of lash material under her spot where she roosts two days ago. I'm thinking I will give her another course of the enrofloxacin, more to just ease my own worries. I know that her laying soft shell eggs and lash material are likely part of a deeper reproductive issue, so my goal is to just keep her happy for as long as I can. It doesn't bother me that she isn't laying productive eggs, she is more beloved pet than anything else. My hope is that she just stops laying (she's about 3 years old) and that the antibiotics will clear up the infection
Edit to add: I gave her the amoxicillin for I think about 4 days; until the enrofloxacin came in. That one was for 3 days, and I've heard it is the preferred antibiotic for lash. I ordered it through a pigeon fanciers website. I really hope your girl will be ok, and mine too. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom