Lash material?

Jgarza77

Songster
Apr 20, 2021
I suspect this is lash egg material, though I've never dealt with it before. My hen Eggo is a brahma bantam, almost 3 years old. Has laid probably around 10-15 soft shelled eggs sporadically throughout her laying life. By now I can read her behavior when she is about to lay a soft shell. She started showing signs of laying a soft egg last Wed, but never produced any egg. I started her on calcium citrate on Sunday (was giving her carbonate before that). And because I was worried about possible infection from retaining an egg too long; started her on amoxitex yesterday. Aside from 2 episodes of lethargy and liquid urate poops over the weekend, she is eating, drinking, pooping solids, and generally acting ok. This morning when I went to inspect the spot where she sleeps, I found this with her poops. It was about the size of a dried bean. Please tell me I started the antibiotics early enough to save Eggo

Attachments

• 20230801_084513.jpg
    20230801_084513.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 20230801_084600.jpg
    20230801_084600.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 26
It does look like lash material. Salpingitis is notoriously resistant to treatment, but no reason not to try if you want to, it's hard to know how advanced it is since we can't see inside. They tend to hide the symptoms really well. Enrofloxacin is usually considered a better option to treat, you can get it at pigeon suppliers as an oral medication without a prescription, a couple of links below. It may buy her some time even if it doesn't cure it, it's very hard to say. Some birds do very well for quite a while, I've had them live 18 months with it. Some pass quicker. Another link on salpingitis also, below.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=67a6fd1d7&_ss=r

It does look like lash material. Salpingitis is notoriously resistant to treatment, but no reason not to try if you want to, it's hard to know how advanced it is since we can't see inside. They tend to hide the symptoms really well. Enrofloxacin is usually considered a better option to treat, you can get it at pigeon suppliers as an oral medication without a prescription, a couple of links below. It may buy her some time even if it doesn't cure it, it's very hard to say. Some birds do very well for quite a while, I've had them live 18 months with it. Some pass quicker. Another link on salpingitis also, below.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=67a6fd1d7&_ss=r
Thank you for the information, I'm going to try to stay positive and do the best I can for her. For the Enro, would the liquid, pills, or powder be best? And should I continue the amoxicillin in the meantime since I already started it yesterday? Also I was wondering about the dose for the amoxitrex, since I have it on hand already; I'll include a pic of what I have, any advise would be greatly appreciated. So far I've just given her the dosage indicated on the packaging

Attachments

• 16909087875258619732502045634649.jpg
    16909087875258619732502045634649.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 16909088043567779895341067044880.jpg
    16909088043567779895341067044880.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 19
Thank you for the information, I'm going to try to stay positive and do the best I can for her. For the Enro, would the liquid, pills, or powder be best? And should I continue the amoxicillin in the meantime since I already started it yesterday? Also I was wondering about the dose for the amoxitrex, since I have it on hand already; I'll include a pic of what I have, any advise would be greatly appreciated. So far I've just given her the dosage indicated on the packaging
I went ahead and ordered the Enro in liquid form; order should arrive bt next Tuesday. She is only about 2 lbs; what should the dosage be for her?

You can continue the amoxitex if it seems to be helping, do the enrofloxacin when it arrives. Dose for the enrofloxacin is 10mg/kg of body weight for 3-5 days, orally. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so you would give 9.1 mg of the enrofloxacin orally for a 2 lb bird. The 10% solution is 100 mg per ml, so you would give 0.1 ml (0.091 to be exact). If you get some 1 ml/cc oral syringes, you can measure that out easily. Any pharmacy should have them, just ask. I buy them on amazon in bulk. The All Bird Products link has dosing on the product page. It says you can mix it in the drinking water, with instructions for that, I usually give it directly orally, that way I know they get the whole dose. If a bird isn't feeling well there is always a chance they don't drink well and don't take enough in. If you mix it in water you will also use more up, there will be waste.

*Edit* It doesn't matter which form you use, whichever is easiest for you, I've used the oral liquid, the pills, and the injectable (that one is prescription only), they all will work.
For the amoxitex, I would dose it as the label says. Amoxicillin by itself is usually dosed at 57 mg per pound of body weight, 2 times a day for 5-7 days, Tylan/Tylosin is usually dosed at 50 mg per pound of body weight per day.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed response! Yes, I do have a 1 ml oral syringe so that will work perfect. The liquid seems like it'll be the easiest to work with, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will help. I have noticed that she is a lot perkier today and is having much better looking poop so will continue with the amoxicillin til the enro comes in

How is your baby doing?

Back
Top Bottom