Last 3 Hens Found Slaughtered

Multiple dead birds inside the coop, with that kind of damage, is most likely the work of raccoons, and likely as not, more than one. Like momma and all the kids. They could enter through a hole that is only a few inches wide like it wasn't even there. A month or so back, I witnessed a full sized coon go through a woven wire fence......hole was about 4" x 5".....no larger.

Now that you know what didn't work as far as a secure coop is concerned, if you plan to have more birds, your next order of business will be to find a way to secure what you have or build something better. As is, there is no point restocking with new birds, they will be killed too. No need to trap or do anything more with the birds or predators until you have a secure coop that nothing but you can enter.

Fort Knox and make it bomb proof.

Trapping for me allows for confirmation of predator ID. With no birds, I would even release caught animal to enable testing of coop upgrades since no chickens would be a risk. Creating trapwise will not be a consequence once upgrade complete.

Trapping for me allows for confirmation of predator ID. With no birds, I would even release caught animal to enable testing of coop upgrades since no chickens would be a risk. Creating trapwise will not be a consequence once upgrade complete.

I sure wouldnt go through the trouble trapping something to turn around and let it back loose.
Idk how that would test coop upgrades if there's no chickens in coop why would it try to get into it? If you want to test the coop why not do the upgrades, let it test it then trap it and dispose of it then.
Creating trapwise animals is never a good idea imo. Theres just no point in it whether your coop is 100% or not.
Besides all that there will aways be any predator come along to test security.

You do it to be smart. No birds to risk and you know you have current predator pressure. Put the trap in the coop / pen. Bait with chicken or feed you think predator is looking for. If predator can not get in then upgrade is sufficient. If predator challenging setup not present then you will have to assume improvements sufficient and next real test may not be for months or years when you have birds again where a complete loss can be repeated. I operate in a predator heavy situation where occasional testing by predators help me keep tabs on potential weaknesses. Known predators with known routes and methods for challenging my defenses makes my job easier.

Also a very important. When I catch a predator and release it on site or dogs get into it, the predator is very unlikely to make another attempt on my place for some time. Exception to that pattern has involved predators in poor health or a opossum..

Last edited:
You do it to be smart. No birds to risk and you know you have current predator pressure. Put the trap in the coop / pen. Bait with chicken or feed you think predator is looking for. If predator can not get in then upgrade is sufficient. If predator challenging setup not present then you will have to assume improvements sufficient and next real test may not be for months or years when you have birds again where a complete loss can be repeated. I operate in a predator heavy situation where occasional testing by predators help me keep tabs on potential weaknesses. Known predators with known routes and methods for challenging my defenses makes my job easier.

Also a very important. When I catch a predator and release it on site or dogs get into it, the predator is very unlikely to make another attempt on my place for some time. Exception to that pattern has involved predators in poor health or a opossum..

This makes a lot more sense to me. Your other post said trap it for id then release it to test coop upgrades. That didnt seem like the best plan imo.
Ive seen on here for best way to id unknown predator lots are using trail/ game cams. Seems like that would work great.
If you want to test coop without risking chickens why not bait inside and just see if bait remains or is taken.
Im just a firm believer that once you trap a predator you dispose of it. As you said once you release it its very unlikely to make another attempt. My way its guaranteed to never make another attempt.

I am into chickens long-term have interest in wildlife as well. Going after a single predator I did in the beginning although found had no real effect on controlling losses when you consider the number of birds I have and how they are spread out over the landscape, even at night. The approach does make me look like a sissy / treehugger but has allowed me to develop a better under standing of how predators operate. I can and have killed predators with my bare hands so feel no need to act tuff by killing all now.

Well we were in the process of thinning the flock anyway because we're preparing to move out of state. We had found homes for most of them and these last 3 were waiting another week while we treated them for mites, a friend was going to take them and the whole coop set up and whatnot. We used to have neighbors with lots of chickens and they suddenly got rid of them, wondering if they had a predator problem as well and now there's nothing to feed on that's easy-access.

I am into chickens long-term have interest in wildlife as well. Going after a single predator I did in the beginning although found had no real effect on controlling losses when you consider the number of birds I have and how they are spread out over the landscape, even at night. The approach does make me look like a sissy / treehugger but has allowed me to develop a better under standing of how predators operate. I can and have killed predators with my bare hands so feel no need to act tuff by killing all now.

We're probably not all that different.
Im into them long term too. Have had chickens 25 plus years on and off over the last 40. Also really like wildlife except when they threaten my birds/ animals.
We have about 300 birds right now. Almost every type of poultry. Except for some young ones and some breeders mine free range 24/7 over about 3 acres that is fenced all the way around. Although some do range outside the fencing at times.
We're out in hillbilly land so no lions,tigers or bears but about everything else. I do go after one predator at a time when i need to but also think of ways to keep them at bay as much as we can. I think we think alike in that understanding whats around and how they operate is the best defense but if something does come up dead or missing then its game on and its me against them and i will be ruthless against one predator until it is dead.
Never used my bare hands yet.
Your methods do not make you look like a sissy at all just looked like different methods then mine and thats great. I am no fool. Different means learning something new. Whether i agree or not or ever adopt someones methods or ideas or not its all about new knowledge and being open to listen. Every new idea may be a key to keeping another bird alive that may have been taken if someone is too set in their ways to learn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom