1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Last and final boxes!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sean320, Feb 9, 2016.

1. sean320

sean320 Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

I have tried so many different types of nesting boxes. Almost addicted to the trial and error process. I believe I am finally content with these homemade metal boxes. Inside is 14 x 14. Inside height is almost 18". Sharply sloped roof with heavy overhang to keep them in the shadows. It was clearly a success. The next morning after installing, we received 10/12 production all in the boxes. Our girls look so happy.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Your nests look amazing glad your girls are using them mine are just two 5 gal buckets on their side with the lid cut down to 1/3 to hold the shavings in, they were free and they work great for the time being, wish I had some great looking ones like yours.

3. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    Those look great Sean. There's nothing wring w five gal buckets Chick. That's what I was going to use until I decided to build external boxes to save space

4. sean320

sean320 Out Of The Brooder

Txs gang. I did the bucket thing for a while. I got many eggs on the floor of the coop at first. The seemed a bit cramped to me but I did enjoy the look of the buckets. My young boys always laugh when dad goes and upgrades the coop again. Addiction indeed! Lol. Now....how to make that run a bit bigger. Hmmmmm....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by