Last question - Guinea Hens

DonnaScott

Chirping
Aug 13, 2019
Turnersville NJ
I saw people complaining about their guinea hens squawking all night. Mine do the opposite and the two girls squawk extremely aggressively (to the point I think they will blow a vocal cord) as soon as it's close to sunset and then once dark they make no noise what so ever. They go completely silent.

Is this normal, will it change with time? Mine are almost 7 months old.

I saw people complaining about their guinea hens squawking all night. Mine do the opposite and the two girls squawk extremely aggressively (to the point I think they will blow a vocal cord) as soon as it's close to sunset and then once dark they make no noise what so ever. They go completely silent.

I'm pretty sure that's normal. Around dusk is the loudest time here, but like you mentioned, once dark and not a peep.

Guineas that are squawking at night are doing so because something is bothering them. Undisturbed guineas sleep at night.

It is normal for young of the year hens to "buckwheat" almost incessantly during the day until they have chosen mates during their first breeding season. Once their mates have been chosen, they are relatively quiet until the next breeding season.

Hey there!

My experience with guinea fowl is pretty similar, but what I’ve came to notice is that they’re pretty habitual, for a lack of a better word.

I have two guinea fowl, and every day at sunset they perch on a fence and make all kinds of noise — nothing is really bothering them, but they’ve done it for 2 months now. They squawk for about 5-10 minutes, then go into the chicken coop to roost and remain quiet for the remainder of the night.

They’re by far the most interesting birds I’ve had!

Well that's the best answer I could hope for. Its just the two girls but they are extremely loud.
Mine start calling and making a ruccus around 5pm. They want to be in the coop and locked down before sunset so that they can see to get on their roosts. Once that's done, I don't hear a peep out of them.

Back
Top Bottom