Lasting diarrhea and starting to spread

clogan98

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Torrington, CT
I rescued four neglected chickens on Xmas eve. They had spent three weeks scratching in the corpse of one of their flock mates. Since I’ve gotten them one has had constant diarrhea. Now it’s two. I treated with Corid and no improvement. They are acting absolutely fine except for the diarrhea. Any other ideas on how to attempt to treat? Or what might cause it? I keep hearing worms don’t really cause diarrhea. I’m worried they caught something from picking in the decaying corpse for three weeks.

Few questions, were they rescued from an indoor, temp controlled environment? What are they eating now?
Drastic changes in diet can impact their digestion and their immune system my be thrown for a loop if they are used to climate controlled environments. The latter could make it easier for worms, viruses and bacterial infections to reek havoc on their system, so you may be dealing with multiple things at once.
A heavy gut-load of worms can indeed cause diarrhea, so best to have this checked out at your local vet with a fecal float test - this can pick up protozoan infections like cocci as well and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
If you can, post a pic of the diarrhea so we can see what you're dealing with.

No, outdoor small enclosed coop and run (too small) in New England. One lost a toe to frostbite shortly after I got them.
They are still on the exact food they were eating as she gave me the bin of pellets. I toss them some veggies and scratch, yogurt and oatmeal which I’m sure they’ve never had but same staple diet.
I wanted to deworm but I’m confused on what to use. I’m seeing many different opinions. I was going to use safeguard for goats.
No pics at this time (too late tonight to try). Green and white but super loose. Their rears are streaked in white.

Dark leafy greens can cause dark green loose stool if they are gorging themselves; if this is a big part of their treat diet, maybe hold back the greens and see if this helps.

Only green they had was broccoli and not in abundance at all. Like half a broccoli crown split between them all two or three times within the past month.

This is what they came from. White spot in the hole in the ground by the feeder is their dead flock mate. I built a coop and fenced in half of my garage as I can’t build a run until winter is over so they are inside for right now. I let them out in the yard for a little while each day but we have huge hawks that live here as well as foxes, so I can’t leave them out unsupervised. But as you can see from the condition of their previous home, I’m worried they may have caught an illness from it.

Attachments

• 2808F7C4-9758-4C22-8D64-D024C9AB6030.jpeg
    2808F7C4-9758-4C22-8D64-D024C9AB6030.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 0E7B0942-4231-4421-BEBE-6BDFA0E08D50.jpeg
    0E7B0942-4231-4421-BEBE-6BDFA0E08D50.jpeg
    966.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 295E4022-777B-40B8-A9E8-0F9AF5078705.jpeg
    295E4022-777B-40B8-A9E8-0F9AF5078705.jpeg
    962.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 6EA955ED-6C51-4A9F-98E7-05FE2963126A.jpeg
    6EA955ED-6C51-4A9F-98E7-05FE2963126A.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 48FFD6CF-E3B6-4B23-AAF6-C13049B27357.jpeg
    48FFD6CF-E3B6-4B23-AAF6-C13049B27357.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 16
Do they have access to grass for grazing as well?
Maybe have a look at a poo chart and see if you can match up anything with what you've seen for now:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
From what I understand, Botulism and its family, which can be picked up from carrion, should present with other symptoms besides just diarrhea and have a relatively quick onset.

Only when I let them out and not much as the ground is frozen and snow covered most of the time. The closest in that chart was the one due to excessive water intake due to high heat and it’s winter in Connecticut so definitely not the case. The next closest is the one due to egg peritonitis which wouldn’t spread to another chicken although the one who had it first is the only one who hasn’t started laying again yet.

I rescued four neglected chickens on Xmas eve. They had spent three weeks scratching in the corpse of one of their flock mates. Since I’ve gotten them one has had constant diarrhea. Now it’s two. I treated with Corid and no improvement. They are acting absolutely fine except for the diarrhea. Any other ideas on how to attempt to treat? Or what might cause it? I keep hearing worms don’t really cause diarrhea. I’m worried they caught something from picking in the decaying corpse for three weeks.
They are still on the exact food they were eating as she gave me the bin of pellets. I toss them some veggies and scratch, yogurt and oatmeal which I’m sure they’ve never had but same staple diet.
I wanted to deworm but I’m confused on what to use. I’m seeing many different opinions. I was going to use safeguard for goats.
No pics at this time (too late tonight to try). Green and white but super loose. Their rears are streaked in white.
The closest in that chart was the one due to excessive water intake due to high heat and it’s winter in Connecticut so definitely not the case. The next closest is the one due to egg peritonitis which wouldn’t spread to another chicken although the one who had it first

When you can, photos of the poop would be good.
How old is the feed? It's the same feed that was being used when they were rescued?
What type of feed is it?

I would get some fresh feed. Eliminate the oatmeal. You can give a very small amount of scratch or veggies daily - make sure they have access to grit (crushed granite) free choice.
You don't mention how old they are or if they are all hens - either way - provide them with oyster shell free choice as well.

If you do want to worm them - then I would use the Safeguard (fenbendazole). The dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight, give orally for 5 days in a row.

I would also check crops first thing in the morning to make sure they are emptying. Look them over for lice/mites.

Green and white poop - are they drinking enough? Do they have a similar water station to what they were accustomed to?

No idea how old the feed is or what type it is. She would buy things from Tractor Supply so something from there. Just ran out yesterday so I’ll be switching them anyway. Just didn’t want to switch the day they arrived as I was afraid that would be even more stress. They have grit and shells. Don’t think they ever have before. Laying hens but no idea their age. No more than 5 or 6 as that’s how long the owners lived at their address. I was only giving some warm oatmeal in the mornings when it was below 20 degrees but will stop if that might be contributing. Checked for mites and see no visible signs. They don’t seem to get along though as in the morning they have fresh injuries. 4 chickens in a 16 sq ft coop (only go in to sleep and lay) with two 48” roosts spaced far apart enough to try to deter it as they’ve been squabbling since they arrived. Lots of comb pecking and feather pulling. I will get pics of poop when I let them outside later. Same type of waterer and they do drink. I don’t think they had access to fresh food and water at all times previous because both were empty when I took them and when I set them up here they gorged themselves long enough to be concerning. My vet said they can run a fecal so I’ll try that as well.

Back
Top Bottom