Late Feburary-Early March 2016 Hatch-A-Long!

How many times have you hatched eggs?

• This is my first time

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Two

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Three

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Four or five

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Five to ten

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Ten to twenty

• Twenty to fifty

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Fifty or more

• Total voters
Well, I've emptied my bator. I ended up with 12 late deaths...I'm not sure why but I had been trying the concept of keeping the vent nearly closed for the first 10 days in an attempt to make stronger chicks (the idea was talked about in the Easter hatch thread, I think). I won't say that's the reason, I have always had a few late deaths from my birds...so it could just be genetics.

Anyway, my Fertility rate went down slightly to 78.13% but my Hatch rate went up slightly to 81.54%...so this is my best hatch and fertility rate ever.

On the downside, I intend to start a new hatch tomorrow afternoon, but my layers haven't been laying (I've been getting 1-2 eggs a day for 4 weeks now). So I may do a staggered hatch this time. I've never done one before so it will be a new experience.

I'm starting a new hatch today. Hoping third try is the charm. Using a thermometer that has worked for a friend many times. So good luck friends and I will ask for help if things don't go right and let you all happy dance with me if they do. Here's hoping for many happy hatchings.

Last edited:
Day 27 starts today for my duck eggs. Pretty nervous as these eggs were marked for eating and stored in the egg cartons pointy end up.

I'm starting a new hatch today. Hoping third try is the charm. Using a thermometer that has worked for a friend many times. So good luck friends and I will ask for help if things don't go right and let you all happy dance with me if they do. Here's hoping for many happy hatchings.
wee.gif
I hope this is the charm too!!!

Day 27 starts today for my duck eggs. Pretty nervous as these eggs were marked for eating and stored in the egg cartons pointy end up.
... How did they look at the final candle before lockdown? I had a terrible time with duck eggs but they were also shipped from Ca. to NY So, there was not a whole lot going for them.

Well, I've emptied my bator. I ended up with 12 late deaths...I'm not sure why but I had been trying the concept of keeping the vent nearly closed for the first 10 days in an attempt to make stronger chicks (the idea was talked about in the Easter hatch thread, I think). I won't say that's the reason, I have always had a few late deaths from my birds...so it could just be genetics.

Anyway, my Fertility rate went down slightly to 78.13% but my Hatch rate went up slightly to 81.54%...so this is my best hatch and fertility rate ever.

On the downside, I intend to start a new hatch tomorrow afternoon, but my layers haven't been laying (I've been getting 1-2 eggs a day for 4 weeks now). So I may do a staggered hatch this time. I've never done one before so it will be a new experience.
Congrats on your hatch! That is great.

I have good luck with my staggered hatches and have been doing it for about a year now. I collect eggs for a week or so. But, keep them in a cool/dark area and rotate them 3 times a day. I just put them in cartons and throw a book under one side, then rotate and turn them to the other side. I like to set them weekly to hatch at night...LOL

Are you using a brinsea cabinet? Does it have a hatching area in it? The only thing i run into is humidity, I have to hatch at a low humidity as to not spoil the bunch also turn the cooling cycle off.

Let me know how it works for you! Best of luck with this new adventure.

Oh- Next crew is due Saturday. Shipped eggs from Washington -barbezieux...which I reall really need to hatch a roo. A couple of my hona eggs and some mystery ones. 12 together.

I wound up with 6 speckled sussex from the last crew. I left the eggs in there anyhow because they were due yesterday but hatched early on tuesday.

Humidity is being a pooper- we are so dry here and the humidity pump can't keep up...
fl.gif

... How did they look at the final candle before lockdown?  I had a terrible time with duck eggs but they were also shipped from Ca. to NY  So, there was not a whole lot going for them.

This is my first time doing duck eggs so I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like but 6 were developing along nicely out of 12 set. One of those 6 though has more room in the egg than the others so I think it may be a late quitter? Not sure. How long after hatch day is recommended to leave duck eggs in?

Congrats on your hatch! That is great.

I have good luck with my staggered hatches and have been doing it for about a year now. I collect eggs for a week or so. But, keep them in a cool/dark area and rotate them 3 times a day. I just put them in cartons and throw a book under one side, then rotate and turn them to the other side. I like to set them weekly to hatch at night...LOL

Are you using a brinsea cabinet? Does it have a hatching area in it? The only thing i run into is humidity, I have to hatch at a low humidity as to not spoil the bunch also turn the cooling cycle off.

Let me know how it works for you! Best of luck with this new adventure.

Prior to my last setting, I did like you, rotating the eggs several times a day and keeping them in a cool dark place. Today's setting, however, is made up of eggs with every reason to fail. I have just placed 83 eggs in my Brinsea cabinet (Ova 100), which is every egg my birds laid over the last 24 days. They weren't turned, or kept at an angle.

My cabinet does not have a hatching area, however, the trays which hold the eggs have a top which prevents the chicks from getting out.

I don't use the cooling cycle at this point. I have had mixed comments about it (some say use it, others say don't). I think I will try using it a little later in the year when all other issues are more ideal.

This is my first time doing duck eggs so I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like but 6 were developing along nicely out of 12 set. One of those 6 though has more room in the egg than the others so I think it may be a late quitter? Not sure. How long after hatch day is recommended to leave duck eggs in?

I have never done duck eggs, but unless the chick has pipped before the end of Day 21, I find that keeping eggs in the incubator longer rarely results in a robust chick.

Day 21 out of 28 for my turkeys. This is my first venture into turkeys so I'm really excited. I have three boxes from work that total about 9 feet in length set up for a brooder as of right now but I plan to add one more to extend the measurements to about 12 feet by 3 before they hatch. I will have a light on one end and the food and water in the second box with my silkie in the yet to be attached forth box on the far end of the brooder with a few turkey eggs with the hopes of her hatching them out. I can't wait!

I don't have an answer for that. I leave mine in 2-3 days longer but they never hatched anyhow
barnie.gif

Well, the humidity pump crapped out on me last night. Time for a new water plastic tubes. I hope it didn't ruin my barbezieux eggs...I just need one rooster and today was day 21 and no action. I had to open up the incubator to put water in there and a bowl of water. So frustrated.

I don't have an answer for that. I leave mine in 2-3 days longer but they never hatched anyhow  :barnie

Well, the humidity pump crapped out on me last night. Time for a new water plastic tubes. I hope it didn't ruin my barbezieux eggs...I just need one rooster and today was day 21 and no action. I had to open up the incubator to put water in there and a bowl of water. So frustrated. 

Oh no!
I hope you get your rooster!

Back
Top Bottom