Late hatcher?

Sheriloo3

Songster
Aug 20, 2020
Hello again all!

Here is my issue. I have 5 serama eggs hatching today. The first hatched at about 6am this morning, the other 3 have hatched throughout the day, with the most recent one hatching out about a half hour ago (715pm). There is one more to go.

I can definitely hear a lot of chirping and banging around in there, lots of activity inside, but still no external pip!

I have hatched many eggs over the last year and have seen stranger things than this, but it has me a little concerned that it's going to Peter out on me before it finally hatches!

Is it normal for an egg to be that far behind its siblings?

I'm certainly not going to give up on it at this point, I KNOW it's still alive in there. I'm sure it'll pip eventually but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue.

I tell you, I love incubating and hatching eggs, but talk about self-induced anxiety! Jeez!!!

Yes - the hatch can be spread over a few days. If the last pip goes over 24 hours - be ready to help a bit. Can all happen soon! Are they the same color/breed of Eggs? That can cause some variation too.
Yes they are all seramas, which vary in coloration but the breed is all the same. So far I have two little blondies and two that are completely black! Polar opposites! We said this last one better come out purple! Hahah!

It's still very active, so I'm not worried yet. If I wake up tomorrow and that changes, I might feel differently.

Would it be a bad thing to poke a hole to get it started? I've been pretty good at guessing where the starting point will be, based on where the internal pip is, I could make a pretty educated guess, I'm just not sure if that's a bad idea.

Not right now, of course, but if this goes on till the morning, maybe???

I'm happy to report, it is now 715am and that little bird is about 3/4 of the way zipped out! Pretty sure it's going to be another black one (no purple chicks this time) but as long as it hatches all by itself and is ok when it's done, I'm over the moon!

* note where I drew the line on the egg, and the first pip was slightly below that. I am getting pretty good at guessing where the pip will be!

20210413_070857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom