Late introduction

Big Red Roosters

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
United States of America
I was supposed to make one the other day, but I was busy looking around the forums and forgot. Wasn't sure I even wanted to, but it looks like everyone does so here it goes.
About me,
I had chickens on and off most my childhood. My grandparents all had chickens, it goes way back to the great greats.
I've had my chickens on the family farm for nearly 8 years now. I do it all myself, no spouse or kids. Thought I had found the one, but they wanted a city life. I just couldn't give up all I've been blessed with here.
I regularly have friends' kids over, I see it way too often how kids are scared of chickens. I blame those "funny" videos of roosters chasing and attacking little kids. I work with roosters daily, and I can proudly say you'll never find behavior like that here. I have respectful roosters and loveable hens.
I live in what most people would expect from a Nebraskan. A cornfield. My house is in the center of it, corn gets planted all the way up to the yard. The closest town is miles out and has less than eight-hundred people. Need any chicken supplies from TSC or Bomgaars? Gotta drive a couple hours to find one, even then its tiny.
I work 4 jobs in between my chicken raising, so my time is heavily divided. One day I'd like to breed and sell chickens and make enough money to quit at least one job, but that might be pretty far fetched.
About my chickens,
I have not counted, but I think the number is somewhere around 50. I have lots of breeds and mutts, along with bantams too.
I free range, with two old Australian Shepherds as guardians.
The chickens love to eat scraps and dog food. Not exactly my intended choice of snacks, but you cant exactly block a flock of fifty birds from eating a small pile of food.
I have a couple rooster flocks, one for standards and one for bantams. They're the most entertaining flocks I've ever seen.
My cellphone contains around five thousand photos of my chickens, I can never have enough pictures of them. I love showing them off.

That's all I can really think of to put on here. I've kept an eye on backyard chickens for about five years now, figured I should make an account and ask questions of my own instead of searching forums for answers. Maybe I can share knowledge of my own with some of you, we'll see.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Maybe you could share a few of those five thousand photos. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom