Late molt - how cold is too cold?

KRack

Crowing
Jan 18, 2022
PA
I have a RIR hen that started molting in late December. She lost a ton of feathers. She’s still pretty bare and it’s taking a while for her feathers to grow back, probably because it’s been so cold. I’ve thought about pulling her inside, but I like to leave them with the flock when I can. It’s supposed to be about 10 degrees tonight and tomorrow night. Should I just pull her in for the night and put her back out during the day, or leave her be and see how it goes?

She’s eating/drinking and keeping up with the flock, but she does look cold. I’ll try to get a picture when I see her again, they’re out free ranging now.

A photo may help.

Does she have a coop or sheltered area where she can go to get out of wind?

If you feel she's struggling with the cold, then pulling her out overnight to a slightly warmer place may be a good idea. Bringing inside where it's really warm would be hard on her. A cold garage or unheated area that's just warmer and more protected would work though.

A lot of places (mine) 10 degrees is really not cold enough to bother a chicken, even without feathers. My DH draws the line at birds in the house, and I have discovered and hope to offer you hope and comfort that he was right, and they came through the cold just fine. I have a nice coop, it is uninsulated, and has good ventilation.

Just saying

Back
Top Bottom