Latest you should get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ladybug2001, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Ladybug2001

Ladybug2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hi,

I had chickens several years back, though dogs slowly picked them off until we rehomed the last remaining chicken.

I now have a home to myself and am looking to get chickens again. I originally was going to hold off until next year but this time 4 years ago I got my last set of chicks, so of course I now have chickenfever.

I asked my husband and he said sure. So now I'm looking at building a coop and getting chicks.

What is the latest you should get day old chicks? May? I live in a relatively warm climate through about October, then we can have some harsh winters until March.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There is no wrong time of year to get and brood chicks - their needs are the same year round and it is easy enough to meet those needs regardless of season, imo.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The above being said - it can be more challenging to source chicks at off-times of the year depending on where you intend to get them from -- retail stores (feed, pet, farm stores) tend to have them most available in the spring months - though some have begun carrying them for extended times and I've even encountered some that have them year-round. If you plan to order them yourself directly from the hatchery you will have to work around their schedules as some run on a year-round hatch schedule and others are seasonal. If you are going to source from a breeder or local backyard keeper in your area you would need to ask them if they hatch year round and/or would be willing to hatch at a specific time for you - which also depends on whether their breeder flocks are producing at a given time to supply the eggs for the hatch.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I'm in Alberta, Canada and always get chicks in April or early May...I prefer in April although May is fine....I usually can't wait that long though!!

As stated....Get them when your ready.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. Ladybug2001

Ladybug2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I wasn't sure if there was a wrong time of year, since for the first month or so they need a source of heat.

Thanks for the answers! I think May gives me plenty of time to build a coop. I know a few pet stores/farm stores here that carry chicks into June.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If you plan to brood them separate from the coop you could always purchase them a little ahead of the expected finish date on the coop -- the catch with that approach is then you are really on a ticking time clock to get the coop done before they outgrow the brooder and we all know how things can come up at the least opportune times that can put wrenches into plans and delay getting things finished.

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Funny you would say that.....lol
    My Husbands favourite saying is "What came first? The Chicken or the egg"?......He always says the Coop.....haha! I had 15, 6 week old Chicks living in my house till the Coop was ready! Chicken dust everywhere!!

Lol!

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by