Lathe as a run top?

SloughiGirl

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
Reno, NV area
Hi,
I need to find out if lath panels, like the ones people use for trellises Are appropriate to put on the top of my chicken run? There are redwood panels and plastic panels at Home Depot. It appears it would provide shade and protection…anyone have an wisdom for me?
thank you!

Lattice panels like these?
They would keep large birds out, but other things might be able to get in(rodents, raccoons).
Depending on the framework they would sit on, snow load could well be an issue.

I used lattice fencing on my first run. I soon removed them and put HC and those clear plastic roof panels on top of it. Some of the lattice is still there but most of it is not. I removed it for the reasons aart mentioned.

What kind of landscape cloth? Like the fabric/ plastic garden cloth?

It would successfully keep arial predators out, but its also very flimsy, and a snow load would break it pretty quick. Even a predator jumping on top could break it.
I would go for fish netting, not bird netting. Bird netting is very thin and sometimes raptors don't see it and dive bomb anyway. Then they get stuck. If you have a marina near you, after the fishing season fishermen dump piles of torn fish netting by the trash. We always pick that up and use it for our run top. take some string and "sew" the holes together, good as new.

It would successfully keep arial predators out, but its also very flimsy, and a snow load would break it pretty quick. Even a predator jumping on top could break it.
I would go for fish netting, not bird netting. Bird netting is very thin and sometimes raptors don't see it and dive bomb anyway. Then they get stuck. If you have a marina near you, after the fishing season fishermen dump piles of torn fish netting by the trash. We always pick that up and use it for our run top. take some string and "sew" the holes together, good as new.
Good idea!

To cover our run, we actually bent hog panels to make a curved roof so rain and snow can't lay on it. I covered it with chicken wire and then a tarp. It worked wonders this past winter. Last year, when I just had wire and tarp, it would fill with water and snow so heavy I couldn't get it out and had to slice the tarp. It was a mess.

Back
Top Bottom