Laughing Duck?

nelleyoukai

Chirping
Jan 1, 2016
Hello! One of my 4 week old Pekin ducklings keep making this funny laughing noise, I haven't been able to get a video of it as every time I whip out my phone it decides to be quiet (I think it's on to me!) I was wondering if this is a vented trait or if both male and females do it? The laughing one also has more white fluff and feathers coming in than its sibling, I'm wondering if it's just growing faster or if that'll clue me in on their sexes too?

Hi there! It might be a female trying out her big girl quacking voice, but very hard to tell from just a description. If you can continue to try and get a video, that would be really helpful! Just to make sure it isn't something to be concerned about. I'm assuming the duckling seems fine otherwise? Eating and drinking fine? It doesn't seem like coughing or wheezing at all, does it?

At that age it probably is just their adult voice starting to come in, though. :)

Sounds like she is a girl just finding her quack, lol... is it a loud qwha-qwha-qwha-QWHA-QWHA-qwha-qwha sound with the bill wide open?

They're making a couple of different sounds, tonight one of them had its beak closed and was making a 'wek wek wek' noise when I checked in on them. They were strangely quiet this afternoon though, which is weird because from day one they usually just run around the yard peeping their heads off at the top of their lungs (drives me crazy lol) my brown duck (which I have no idea what it is, either a Rouen or mallard X I think) is also making a new noise so it's a bit hard to keep track with 8 ducklings making different sounds haha. I'll be outside with them more tomorrow (laundry day) so I'll be able to possibly sneak a video of the laughing sound (it really sounds like laughing it's so weird)

The laughing duck is almost definitely a girl! I call it "Joker Duck" 'cuz it really does sound like a maniacal laugh. These are calls, but you get the idea. I particularly love how much they all "Joker" but when the guy does it back to them they all stop and go "Dude...what WAS that" :p

0.jpg

wek -wek-wek could be the beginnings of their social excited hop on top/ flock lovin' call.

Ducklings definitely make weird noises when they're transitioning from peep-peep-peep to QUACK-QUACK-QUACK.

The laughing duck is almost definitely a girl! I call it "Joker Duck" 'cuz it really does sound like a maniacal laugh. These are calls, but you get the idea. I particularly love how much they all "Joker" but when the guy does it back to them they all stop and go "Dude...what WAS that" :p
Oh my gosh that is adorable!! And yes!! The laughing sound is almost exactly like that! Haha its such a funny noise isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom