I found a post where @The Moonshiner answered this for someone else. "With the chocolate hen all will be black. All will carry a gene for lavender. Cockerels will carry a gene for chocolate. Pullets will not."
So all chicks will be black split for lavender and cockerels will be split to chocolate and lavender? Then if I take one of the split cockerels and breed it back to the lavender and chocolate cockerels will he be able to produce lavender, chocolate and black?

So all chicks will be black split for lavender and cockerels will be split to chocolate and lavender? Then if I take one of the split cockerels and breed it back to the lavender and chocolate cockerels will he be able to produce lavender, chocolate and black?
Here's where I start getting lost. We'd need a genetics guru to answer instead of us guessing. @NatJ @The Moonshiner

If you're breeding a cockerel back to a cockerel and producing anything now's where i.get lost.
Throw a pullet in there somewhere and I can help.

If you're breeding a cockerel back to a cockerel and producing anything now's where i.get lost.
Throw a pullet in there somewhere and I can help.
I apologize, I got lost in my thought and didn’t double check the reply😂 I meant if I take the black split cockerel and breed him back to lavender and/or chocolate hens, the group should in theory produce black, lavender and chocolate offspring?

I apologize, I got lost in my thought and didn’t double check the reply😂 I meant if I take the black split cockerel and breed him back to lavender and/or chocolate hens, the group should in theory produce black, lavender and chocolate offspring?
Yes
With lavender you'll get.... lavender, chocolate and black pullets. The chocolate and blacks will be split to lavender.
Lavender and black cockerels. The blacks will be split to lavender. Some of both will be split to chocolate.

With chocolate you'll get...chocolate and black pullets. Some will be split to lavender.
Chocolate and black cockerels. The blacks will be split to chocolate and some of all will be split to lavender.

Yes
With lavender you'll get.... lavender, chocolate and black pullets. The chocolate and blacks will be split to lavender.
Lavender and black cockerels. The blacks will be split to lavender. Some of both will be split to chocolate.

With chocolate you'll get...chocolate and black pullets. Some will be split to lavender.
Chocolate and black cockerels. The blacks will be split to chocolate and some of all will be split to lavender.
Thank you, just trying to find out how I can maximize the amount of color I can produce. This has helped a lot!!

Back
Top Bottom