LAV Gene Project Question

Lil Go Peep

Chirping
Apr 21, 2015
Marysville,Wa
My Coop
My Coop
I have been working with LAV Gene in a project I decided to start - Thing is I had hatched out the breed characteristics that I want and size I want as a "Split" - Sadly I only wound up with 1 Roo and 1 hen with my desired looks, then out of the blue I lost the Roo I was going to pair with my only hen to a coyote. So now I'm down to only the hen and no Roo that is LAV or Split her size to pair with -

Anyway I use the chicken calculator often in my breedings and found that I can place her with my Black Roo and she will produce 1/2 black and 1/2 Splits still- my question is:

Is there anyway beside having to do a DNA test to determine which chicks are Black and which chicks are the LAV Splits in a hatching -

I have yet to pair a Split x Black to see outcome- I've always had a another Split or LAV to pair with, this is new territory on working with Split x Black and still trying to achieve what I want

Thank you

unfortunately there is no real way to tell splits from blacks. even if you pair them and hatch you cant be sure unless you get lucky and get a lav out of one.

unfortunately there is no real way to tell splits from blacks. even if you pair them and hatch you cant be sure unless you get lucky and get a lav out of one.

I guess one way I could do it is take the Roos from the hatch and place back to mom and test the gene that way- then if I get Lavs in the mix I'll at least get the color to continue with, I have my other flocks to work with, it's just getting that LAV to come out to move on

I guess one way I could do it is take the Roos from the hatch and place back to mom and test the gene that way- then if I get Lavs in the mix I'll at least get the color to continue with, I have my other flocks to work with, it's just getting that LAV to come out to move on

Indeed you could. Just remember you need three weeks between Roos to be sure which too the egg actually came from. At least that's what I've always been told and so I live by it.

Indeed you could. Just remember you need three weeks between Roos to be sure which too the egg actually came from. At least that's what I've always been told and so I live by it.

I usually leave a new Roo to the flock for a month or more before I hatch any out to make sure that is the Roo I want - I can go either way if I get even a LAV Roo or LAV hens after, then place those where I need them to be to finish

I'm curious what chicken calculator your using I've tried the one from henke the last few times it doesn't seem to work on my phone. May have to wait until I get home and around a laptop.

I'm curious what chicken calculator your using I've tried the one from henke the last few times it doesn't seem to work on my phone. May have to wait until I get home and around a laptop.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

I have a IPhone or I use on a IPad with no issues - maybe it's your type of phone? I've been using this for a while and has helped out with figuring out my "project" outcome or how I need to do it to get what I want

I have an I phone. I think it was the version I was using. When I went to the more complicated one it worked. It was the simplified one where you basically just choose your roo and hens colors that didn't seem to want to calculate.

Good luck with your project. I'm in agreement that you should/could go back to the lav if it would ensure that your chicks will be all splits rather than some split and some not --
I'm also working on a lav project - so I'm sympathetic. With the recessive that 'doesn't show' -- the more you know where your recessive lav IS, the better you can progress.

Good luck with your project. I'm in agreement that you should/could go back to the lav if it would ensure that your chicks will be all splits rather than some split and some not --
I'm also working on a lav project - so I'm sympathetic. With the recessive that 'doesn't show' -- the more you know where your recessive lav IS, the better you can progress.

I've been working with the LAV in another project but I have the LAV or a Split to put back with, so I know for sure I'll get the LAV to come out - but the pair I decided to do another project on are Bantam size and I can't put my standard Roo with her - if I wouldn't of lost the Roo to pair with her I wouldn't be in this boat And I don't want to get rid of her being she is a LAV Split - if placed back to black, she'll still produce Splits it's just figuring out which ones are over the non Splits

Back
Top Bottom