Lavendar Bantam Cochins?

Puresilk

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Yale
Are there many of these around? I would really like to pick up a lavendar bantam cochin hen, but I dont know if they are hard to find or not....anyone got any good pictures of some?

Thanks
smile.png
. Are they hard to come by? I am gonna be at Jacobs Cave next month, hoping to find a nice bantam cochin hen or two up there, maybe a lav. and another pretty color to toss in with the silkies.

There are a few people here that have them . do a search and see what you come up with. I see some on eggbid from time to time. Not hard to find but quality ones are!

I am mainly wanting to find out if they are hard to find. It seems like they are. I am gonna be at Jacobs Cave swap next month, looks like I might not find any up there. Thanks for the replies.

Hard to find? Depends. Yes, if you are looking for birds that carry type similar to Blacks, Whites, Buffs etc. There are a couple hatcheries that offer them so that's a possible source. Just don't expect the quality of exhibition Blacks, Whites, Buffs, etc.

As herechickchick stated, I am working on them, but am not ready to let any go just yet. I am on the f3 generation and hatched around 40 splits to Black this spring. We'll see how they look in the fall. I am hoping to have good representative Self-Blues in the f4 generation. Again, we'll see. At any rate I plan to raise around 50 next year, which means I'll need to actually hatch 200+ since 75% will be black chicks, either pure for black, or splits. Since you can't tell which is which, none of those will be kept.

Lots of issues to deal with in developing these. Leg color on the original pair was incorrect, as it is with most of what you'll find out there. Ear lobe color is poor, feather quality isn't great, which seems to be an inherent issue with the color as a whole, and the type was terrible. However, the f2 Self Blues that I used for the f3 generation at least look like Cochins!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom