Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

@RowanTheRed I cannot even imagine the pain from your loss! :th SOOO sorry. :hugs

Honestly the super friendly cockerels are often the ones that turn into giant terrorist.

All birds are individuals and mature at different rates. Some boys will crow as early as 4 weeks, where as I have had some not start until 21 weeks. And my Ameraucana are *usually* a little slower than my EE.

Flock protection is a terrible reason to keep roosters IMO. Reason being, they usually just become the sacrifice to the threat. A rooster can't stand against a raccoon, mountain lion, or anything of the like.. even IF they wanted to. And a good lead hen will do predator warning calls and be able to fight off any standard cat. Excessive crowing is enough reason for me to NOT keep a specific rooster.

But I haven't had YOUR experience. Make the best decision you can with how you currently feel, and you can always switch it up if it doesn't work out. Chickens are supposed to be therapy, so if they start taking you for a ride you don't like, then end it. Mating will be starting any time, you'll know when your hens start to holler.

I would definitely struggle to get rid of the one in the pic if I put myself in your shoes. It must be very difficult, hang in there!:)

so you were very correct! Turns out the EE that started off being super sweet turned into a big PITA! At least once a week or so he and I would go round and round as to just who exactly was king of the backyard! I always won, however it was getting harder and harder to prove this point to him. It generally required me getting the garden hose after him lol. He would come back for more if I bonked him on the noggin with a stick, but pull out the hose with the spray nozzle and he was off to hide!

I recently sold him to a guy that wanted to use him for breeding EE to sell. He should be in hog heaven now because he no longer has to compete with the lavender roo over who was king of the coop. They both turned out beautiful, and Dexter the EE had a really special place in our hearts do to what I posted last year. However the time finally came that I had to admit that special place couldn't trump what was best for all involved, both for us and for our other chooks. I am happy though that he is now living the life of the king.

here is what Dexter the EE grew up to look like

20180502_112120.jpg

And here is Periwinkle the lavender Ameraucana that we kept, he looks to have some color leakage but is still a very pretty roo.

20180502_083348.jpg

And here is Periwinkle the lavender Ameraucana that we kept, he looks to have some color leakage but is still a very pretty roo.
Both beautiful boys. :love
I recently sold him to a guy that wanted to use him for breeding EE to sell.
Sorry you went through that. :(

Attitude breeds forward BIG time. :hmm

But hopefully his issue with you was personal (from the early misunderstanding) and he will act right around other people. :fl

I'm happy to say that my first time like that was my last time. And all boys raised since then have behaved in a much more natural fashion. Some are still Stew Pidasso's from an early age. I don't do any "rooster training" techniques. I just raise them as chickens who weren't meant to be on my lap as soon as I realize they r boys. And I walk through them instead of gently stepping around "so they will trust me". Once they see you as part of the pecking order or competition any facing off with them just escalates in my experience. But by the fact that you were able to keep the other guy, I can see you haven't been ruined so to speak. Glad you were able to find him a home! :thumbsup

Both beautiful boys. :love

Sorry you went through that. :(

Attitude breeds forward BIG time. :hmm

But hopefully his issue with you was personal (from the early misunderstanding) and he will act right around other people. :fl

I'm happy to say that my first time like that was my last time. And all boys raised since then have behaved in a much more natural fashion. Some are still Stew Pidasso's from an early age. I don't do any "rooster training" techniques. I just raise them as chickens who weren't meant to be on my lap as soon as I realize they r boys. And I walk through them instead of gently stepping around "so they will trust me". Once they see you as part of the pecking order or competition any facing off with them just escalates in my experience. But by the fact that you were able to keep the other guy, I can see you haven't been ruined so to speak. Glad you were able to find him a home! :thumbsup

nah, he didn't ruin me. Actually he was like Jeckel and Hyde - sometimes sweet and other times crazy! He started to become crazy when the other roo realized he was a roo too. I think that having another roo around only amped up the fact that he wasn't necessarily the top dog. I never cowered to him, ever, hence why he didn't try me every day. But I wasn't the only one he tested, he did the same to Ron. However, he was an absolutely beast towards my 18 year old son and his girlfriend. They couldn't step off the deck without needing a weapon to defend themselves. Plus we were very concerned for when our granddaughters visited. They were used to feeding the chooks when they were small and friendly, I didn't want him to get one of the girls and scare them away from chickens for life.

The real straw though was recently. Once the boys turned a year they started to get very territorial. I was having DAILY cock fights in the backyard!! Oh, and lets not forget the rooster races that followed the fights!! By this time Periwinkle became the top rooster and would end up chasing Dexter under the shed. This is when Dexter started to really push the envelope with us. I think it was a ploy to establish that he wasn't the lowest on the totem pole.

Yes, it was bitter sweet to see him go. But it has been much quieter around here and I know he is going to be a happy roo to have 20+ hens to himself!

I am in Upstate SC looking for Lavender Ameraucanas. Willing to drive 1 hour radius of Greenville for quality, healthy purebred birds. Anything from pullets/juveniles to young hens will work. I also need a flashy young rooster. Thanks!

I am in Upstate SC looking for Lavender Ameraucanas. Willing to drive 1 hour radius of Greenville for quality, healthy purebred birds. Anything from pullets/juveniles to young hens will work. I also need a flashy young rooster. Thanks!

I bought my lavender ameraucana from Eggwell farms in Welford. My pullet ended up being a rooster that turned out to be quite handsome

20180502_083348.jpg

I bought my lavender ameraucana from Eggwell farms in Welford. My pullet ended up being a rooster that turned out to be quite handsome

View attachment 1442715

He is gorgeous. I tried going there and contacting them via phone with no response. I made a trip out there since the website said "no appt needed, to come during their open business hours," and there was a sign saying "Closed today." :(

I will try them again next week if I can get ahold of them before making another trip, unless something else comes along here. Thanks!

He is gorgeous. I tried going there and contacting them via phone with no response. I made a trip out there since the website said "no appt needed, to come during their open business hours," and there was a sign saying "Closed today." :(

I will try them again next week if I can get ahold of them before making another trip, unless something else comes along here. Thanks!

I can tell you that they rarely answer their phone, sadly. The two times I have been there I have just dropped in. The last time was this past spring for some areraucana and English BBS orpington eggs to incubate.

I have a 3 month old lavender ameraucana cockeral, I think he's a he, if anyone is in NorCal and is interested in adopting him. He's from a local show breeder. I hatched him under a broody hen. I wish he was a pullet so much, sweetest little chicken ever. Truly loves to cuddle.
upload_2018-6-29_9-45-9.png

I'm so glad you started this thread!! I don't read the ABC forum. I do read the Ameraucana thread, but its such an active thread I find it hard to keep up with. I find it impossible to locate and information regarding lavenders. I always just PM happy when I have a question. This will be nice!!

Also, I love to get my birds critiqued. If I don't know what's wrong, I can't fix it!!!
Oh he is so beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom