Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DMRippy, Jun 29, 2012.

1. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I contacted a local Americauna breeder who advertised she had several colors of chicks available, including blues....which I wanted. I went to her farm and picked out four chicks. I was delighted to see what looked like two lavenders, which I scooped up. The photos look a bit yellow, but they have no yellow. I suspect that is from my warm flash. Give me your opinion of them, as I am new to pure breds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their legs are darker than they appear on the photos.

One question. I tried to pick out two blues, but I saw nothing that screamed blue to me. They looked more like wheatons to me. What do you folks think about their color? The breeder said the parents were show winners, but I have only their word for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other photos I have seen of blue chicks, I didn't see these "partridge" markings either. Just needing some opinions.

2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Well if you check the spelling they were not lying they are AmerIcanas aka Easter Eggers. Sorry but it appears you did not get exactly what you were expecting.

3. Caitlin_VT

Caitlin_VT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Vermont
    Thanks, I will keep those pictures saved!

4. ZoiChick

ZoiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yes of course, Jason, :love Candy is a jewel. Much thanks to all those that offered advice. I am working on acquiring a black rooster. The plan is also to share some of these if they turn out , with a friend who has a whole pen of splits. I have a hen already that is said to be from Harry as well as her black split hatch mate. Actually five between the friend and myself in addition to her young splits. This was an impulse purchase and a learning experience so we shall see.The yellow on the 2 week olds is in fact pretty pale. I'n new to chickens and sometimes have to learn the hard way :fl

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop

Caitlin_VT, in addition to those photos of two quality hens, look up post #311 and you will see photos of my not-so-quality rooster. His tail has the K factor that Shaffer describes. You can see it best in the last photo. He must have had some other quality issues too, because he dropped dead when he was just under a year old!

6. Caitlin_VT

Caitlin_VT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Vermont
    Thanks, I will!

7. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    you are not alone on that. Good luck with the new lavenders

8. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I spoke with the breeder about this and she ASSURES me they are purebred Ameraucanas. She told me a number of her small flock have been shown and several have won "best in breed" at shows. I was wanting blues, which she said she had. When I arrived, there were none that I considered blue. She told me she thought I wanted blue wheaten........When I went to her farm, she had very organized and what seemed like carefully picked birds

The photo doesn't show the true color. I suspect it is because I was using a warm flash. There is no yellow in the color and the legs are dark grey, not the greenish cast seen in the photo. I guess I just ended up with non standard birds.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  9. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

10. ZoiChick

ZoiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Grass Valley, CA

Thanks for the wishes Jason. Between myself and a friend we have 5 hens from Shaffer and another five from Shaffer hens over a Paul Rooster. These newest babies may or may not turn out, but hey they are only 6 and one looks nice. I think the little krl from Bargains 5 year old pen looks promising. So far. I'm also grateful to whoever mentioned the possible barring. Probably it's simpel fretting of the poor feather quality. It's amazing what one can see in chicks so young. This is how I learn best. Have both good examples and not so good at home to raise and evaluate.

Cyndi with Silken Windhounds who thinks dog breeding is a crap shoot
    "Do you feel lucky"?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by